Terms & Conditions
Open to amateur writers only; free entry. All entrants are deemed to have accepted these rules and agreed to be bound by them. The opening date for entries in 10.00am on Saturday 13 June 2020 and the closing date is 7.00pm on Sunday 14 June 2020. The Promoter of this competition is Wanderlust Publishing Ltd.
Number of entries
Entrants may only submit one 500-word story per person.
You can submit your entry to the competition for free by emailing it to email@example.com
1) Prepare your entry by following the submission guidelines set out for the Wanderlust Writing Challenge https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/wanderlust-writing-challenge-2020/
2) Put the text of your story in the body of your email and format it to suit the submission guidelines, see link above
3) Send the email in the submission window, between 10.00am on Saturday 13 June 2020 and the closing date is 7.00pm on Sunday 14 June 2020
General entry guidelines
1) Each entry must reflect the theme of the challenge: the kindness of strangers
2) No entry should be longer than 500 words
3) Your story must be submitted in English
4) Submit your entry in the body of the email
5) Underneath your entry, please put the final word count in brackets, like so: (500)
6) Make sure it is in a readable font like Times New Roman or Garamond, size 12 or above
7) Any entries that are unreadable, are not submitted in English and do not meet these guidelines will unfortunately not be eligible and will not be read.
8) Originals of all entries must be available on request, i.e. a Word Doc time and date stamped with your entry in.
9) By entering this promotion and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, you accept that the Promoter (Wanderlust Publishing Ltd) may use your name for their promotional and publicity purposes, without the payment of any fee, nor the requirement for prior notification or permissions. You accept that the data provided within your entry may be held (for a period of up to five years) in order to contact you in relation to the competition, for the purposes of verifying your entry, administering the prize selection and competition, for redemption of the prize and for any commercial opportunities that may arise from your entry
Rules & restrictions
1) Pieces of writing that have previously been published or won competitions cannot be entered.
2) Employees of Wanderlust, Think Travel, Think Publishing and regular Wanderlust contributors are excluded from entering.
3) This competition is for amateur writers only. Individuals who teach writing classes, work as any type of travel writer or travel journalist (whether part- or full-time), or whose primary source of income is from the sale of their writing, are excluded.
4) The organisers take no responsibility for loss or delay to entries. Entries at writer’s risk.
6) The Promoter is not responsible for any technical issues (or other) that impede an entrants' entry being submitted correctly and/or in full. The Promoter is not responsible for any changes in e-mail, mailing address and /or telephone numbers provided at time of entering the prize draw. The promoter is in no way liable for the reproduction or indirect access via third party web site or home page access which reproduction misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with the promotion.
7) The judging will take place June and July 2020, and the judges will include members of team Wanderlust. [Independent judge?]
8) Entrants must be 18 years old or over.
Prizes & awards
1) One winner will have their entry published in Wanderlust travel magazine, on wanderlust.co.uk and will be invited to join Wanderlust’s editor-in-chief for a one-on-one Zoom mentoring session, lasting 45 minutes.
2) Three runners up will have their entry published on Wanderlust.co.uk.
3) The winner and runners up will be contacted via email. The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to contact the winners using the email address supplied within the entry. If confirmation from the winner is not received within seven days from when they are awarded the prize, it will be considered forfeited and another winner will be drawn at random. The Promoter shall not be responsible should a winner provide incorrect contact details.
4) If the winner or a runner up is unable to take up their prize for any reason, the Promoter reserves the right to award it to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen will not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever.
11) The Promoter and Prize Partners nor any associated third party or sponsors accept no liability for any loss, expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person's negligence) in connection with the promotion or the winners’ enjoyment of the prize, other than such liability that cannot be excluded by law including death or personal injury caused by negligence, where liability shall be limited to the minimum permissible by law.
12) The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this prize and without notice in the unlikely event of force majeure, war, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any similar event or if circumstances arise outside of its control. The promoter and associated partners will not accept any liability for any loss or damages suffered whilst on this trip. The prize must be accepted as offered.
13) The Promoter (Wanderlust Publishing Ltd) is based in the UK and the competition prize will be delivered under the terms of the UK’s laws and regulations. By entering this competition and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, entrants from outside the UK agree that The Promoter, Prize Partners and any subsequent sponsors or media partners will not accept any liability or responsibility for any extra costs or issues incurred by the entrant not being a resident of the UK. This includes, but is not limited to: any non-UK taxes that may apply in the entrant’s country of residence (such as taxes on competition prizes).
15) The prizes are non-transferable, non-negotiable and there is no cash alternative.
16) The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, prize, discount or promotion.
17) The writer retains copyright of their entry in its entirety, and upon entering grants Wanderlust non-exclusive rights to publish the entry in any present or future products. The writer grants the Promoter non-exclusive rights to free production of prize-winning and commended [runner up] entries in direct promotion of and publicity for this competition for up to five years.
18) By entering this competition, each entrant acknowledges that if he or she is a winner, his or her surname and county of residence may be disclosed to persons enquiring, where permitted by law. Any entrant may object to their information being made available in this way, or may request that the amount of information made available be reduced, by contacting the Promoter using the contact details below. In these circumstances, the entrant acknowledges that the Promoter may nevertheless disclose such information to the UK Advertising Standards Authority if required to do so. To request disclosure of winner details, enquirers must submit a request by post (enclosing a stamped addressed envelope) to Wanderlust Publishing Ltd, Capital House, 25 Chapel St, Marylebone, London NW1 5DH [no later than 1st October 2020]. Details will only be disclosed (if permitted by law) after all prizes have been validly claimed.
19) The competition and these terms and conditions are governed by English law, and any disputes arising in connection with them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, except that residents of Scotland may also bring proceedings in the Scottish courts.
20) The Promoter will also use entrants’ personal data for direct marketing purposes where consent has been provided via the opt-in check boxes provided. This includes communications containing news, offers and information. We may also share your personal information, if opt in consent has been given, with third parties, to help manage our business and deliver services. These third parties may include service providers, who perform functions on our behalf such as sending emails, analysis of data, providing marketing assistance. Personal data may be transferred and processed outside of the EU and EEA. You have the right to ask us for more information about the safeguards put in place for transfer of data. You have the right to opt-out at any time, by following the links in the communications to you.
For more details of Wanderlust Publishing Ltd’s use of personal data, please read https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/system-pages/privacy-policy/
- Any information submitted on this website may be used by our partners in the selection process of direct marketing newsletters, and should you object such usage, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
- Acceptance of these terms and conditions is a condition of entry.
- All data entries will be permanently deleted except emails after the campaign has ended and a winner has been selected.
21) Prizes may be subject to change.
22) Contact us: Wanderlust Publishing Ltd, Capital House, 25 Chapel St, Marylebone, London NW1 5DH, General enquiries 01753 620426, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered in England & Wales. Reg No: 02811057. VAT No: 635741727