Forums

This is the place for you to ask your travel questions and share your tips. To search for particular topics, go to categories and choose a relevant topic

Roadtrip Tales to Share?

As regulars on the forum know, and as featured in Wanderlust in November, I've set up a website -www.DriverAbroad.com, which covers all aspects of driving yourself whilst travelling.

I've added a 'Roadtrip Tales' page with the aim of sharing any interesting tales from users relating to driving abroad. Knowing what a creative bunch we have on the site, I wondered whether anyone has any experiences I could use?

They can be as long or short as you like, and if you have any photos to accompany the words, I'll post those too. If anyone has an interesting tale to tell you can send it me via the contact page on the website.

By the way, I'm now down to 15 countries where it doesn't seem possible to rent a car and drive yourself. So if anyone has managed to do that in any of the following, please let me know!

Obviously, at present Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia are probably not sensible self-drive destinations

Bermuda forbids visitors from driving so thats a non starter.

Burma - Some confusion on whether its legal for foreigners to drive but I was unable to locate a rental company

Bhutan - Its possible to rent a car in India and drive to Bhutan, but I couldn't find a rental company in the country.

Democratic Republic of Congo -All the big international rental companies operate in DRC but at present all seem to only offer cars with a driver.

Liberia - Unable to find anyone who would rent a car to a foreigner

Nauru- Its a tiny Island so possibly there are no rental options?

Nepal - Sixt have an office but make you take a driver at present

Nigeria- Technically self drive is possible...but no one seems
    willing to allow a foreigner to take a car without a driver. I located a
    travel agent who said they may be able to arrange car rental depending
    on the state of law and order in the country, but so far I have been
    unable to find a rental company.

North Korea- I'd be impressed if someone came up with a car rental company here, or escaped your Government minder to drive anywhere alone!

Tajikistan - I struggled to find anyone offering self drive. Even travel companies seemed unable to help.

Turkmenistan - I've been told by an Ashgabat based travel agency
    that self drive is currently 'forbidden' in Turkmenistan. Not sure if
    thats official as with Bermuda or just that its frowned upon so no one
    does it.

Vietnam (North) - Budget have a branch in Saigon and seem to allow self drive, but I've drawn a blank in the North of the country

Report as inappropriate
    LS13

18 posts | 178 responses

Posted 20 January 12

Responses

I have a number of roadtrip tales since roadtrips are how i like to travel.  i'll apply my mind to writing them in a fashion that may be interesting to someone else.

Report as inappropriate
    ttbko

84 post | 862 responses

Posted 22 January 12

Great, thanks ttbko, look forward to reading them!

Report as inappropriate
    LS13

18 post | 178 responses

Posted 23 January 12

just spotted this missed the November posting but made me thisnk of a couple of trips - will get to it soon...........

Report as inappropriate
    scheungy

170 post | 587 responses

Posted 26 January 12

You must be logged in to add to this post

myWanderlust

Welcome to our community

Member Login

Not a member?

Get more from Wanderlust - register today!

Search

Enter a region, country or destination

Find a member:

Most Popular Categories

select
select
select
select
Departure date:
Open the calendar popup.
Return date:
Open the calendar popup.
Date flexibility:
Spin UpSpin Down
Search

Need some travel planning inspiration?

Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.

Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking. Enjoy!

Search
Email

Wanderlust in your inbox

Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!

I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions

Submit