A to Z of Destinations
Australia, NZ and South Pacific
A to Z of Experiences
Walking and trekking
Diving and snorkelling
Wildlife and safaris
Meet the locals
Frontier and expedition
Cycling and Mountain Biking
Visiting the Poles
Career breaks and BIG trips
Body and soul
Volunteer and conservation
Australia, East Coast
Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail
Everest Base Camp
Climb Mount Kilimanjaro
Trans-Siberian and Trans-Mongolian railway
Aurora Borealis/Northern Lights
Cruising the Nile, Egypt
5th September 2011
Presented to you, for your entertainment and pleasure – 20 of the most outrageous, ridiculous and stupid travel complaints made to tour operators
A recent survey from Thomas Cook and ABTA reveals 20 of the most ridiculous complaints by holiday-makers made to their travel agent.
1. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
2. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time - this should be banned."
3. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."
4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels."
5. A tourist at a top African Game Lodge over looking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
6. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been locked in by staff. When in fact, she had mistaken the "do not disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.
7. "The beach was too sandy."
8. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure.Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."
9. A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.
10. "Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women."
11. "We bought 'Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros from a street trader, only to find out they were fake."
12. "No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled."
13. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only took the Americans three hours to get home."
14. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends' three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller.."
15. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation’. We’re trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying there?"
16. "There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad."
17. "We had to queue outside with no air conditioning."
18. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."
19. "I was bitten by a mosquito, no-one said they could bite."
20. "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login or get more from Wanderlust - register today!
I have to say, number 5 is my personal favorite! Don't you just love the delicate male ego?
Every one a testament to stupidity. Do you think it would be possible to remove the passports of people achieving these heights of inanity?
I like number 11. We were in Tunisia recently and even the author of number 11 could have spotted the fakes - designer trainers labelled "Mike" alongside the famous sporting logo!
Oh the fake things! A friend once bought some very decent adadiss flipflops in China. It wouldn't be a real holiday without real, genuine fakes! I also once came across a Trip Advisor review for a medieval house turned B&B in a tiny Italian town where someone had complained that the rooms were small and that there was no lift. Ok it might not be obvious, but there's no way a lift would be a feature of a medieval townhouse. (Which, incidentally, was beautiful and comfortable!)
On holiday in September 2009 in Skopelos, I went to the site of the 'Mamma Mia' church. Very beautiful, wild surroundings, except the British tourist loudly complaining that she thought there would at least be a shop selling 'Mamma Mia' t-shirts with a picture of the church on it.
I agree with number 15. I wouldn't want to find hairdressers staying in the room next to me!
Just goes to show that some people should never be allowed to have passports or even leave their home towns to inflict their stupidity on others.
I work in the travel industry and the best one I've heard was as follows:(In reference to a trekking trip in China, during a time of year that experiences intermittent rain)"Your suggested packing list was over the top and unnecessary. It suggested I bring a waterproof jacket, so I took one but there was no rain on the trip."
Couldn't agree more with number 1.
It near impossible to get a decent biscuit abroad. It should be stated in the guide books that biscuits in [insert destination] are substandard and wholly undunkable. At least then you can prepare yourself by bringing along your own bodyweight in hobnobs.
I once heard a group of tourists chatting in St.Austell cornwall as one said to the other "look they've got a woolworths here too shall we go and have a look and see what they've got?" im assuming the cultural and geographical differences dont significantly affect the range carried by chain stores but I could be wrong. Maybe I have in fact been missing out on a world of "northern" style clothes pegs, ironing board covers that are totally alien to the cornish lands... but I doubt it lol.
I love number 12, actually reminds me of doing the Zodiak tour to Duck Island in Noumea. Duck Island is a marine sanctuary and a girl wouldn't go in the water because the fish would swim right up to your ankles.. LOL Why go to a marine sanctuary then??? LOL
I was on a business trip to India, staying in the luxurious and world-famous Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai. The hotel's fine dining restaurants arguably serve some of the best Indian food you can eat in the world. One of my colleagues was an academic from a top university in the USA, who had never been to India. Prior to departure a friend had warned her "don't eat Indian food - it will make you sick", so she resolutely avoided eating Indian for the entire trip - always ordering "western" food such as pizza, even in the restaurants of 5-star international hotels such as the Taj Palace.
Number 20 is my absolute favourite.
All others are truly stupid & ridiculous, but nr 10 about topless sunbathing I could actually agree with... If you prefer to be (practically) nude in public you should go on a nudist beach! Not to mention it's stupid...
Best laugh of the week! Might save this for any time I need cheering up!
#20 is a classic!
Download apps for pc
<a class="ext" href="http://pcdownloadfree">pcdownloadfree</a>
Whether maintain them for the eyes only or you wish to reveal them elsewhere <a href="http://snapchattrophiess.com">snapchattrophiess.com</a However you can make some filters of your personal <a href="http://snapchattrophiess.com/snapchat-trophies-unlocked-list-its-meaning/">Snapchat Trophies Unlocked</a>
That's really cool. I would be interested in seeing more graphs of different information you pull from these logs. Fat Diminisher System herbs
I must appreciate the way you have expressed your feelingsthrough your blog!. Click here to play.<a href="http://vertix-io.com/">vertix.io</a> | <a href="http://doggamesaz.com/">dog games</a> | <a href="http://fightinggamesaz.com/">fighting games</a> | <a href="http://mickeymouse-games.com/">mickey mouse games</a> | <a href="http://subwaysurfers-games.com/">Subway Surfers</a>
Download best android launchers for free from this website. They have share all new working android launchers for free.
that is amazing your article 20 astonishing holiday complaints
Aside from the charge, a leading safeguarding specified thickness original, certainly no various lowongan kerja improvement, develop shrewd and / or characteristic shrewd can be viewed because of such denah model desain gambar dapur minimalis. Typically the illustrations or photos on the website are actually from the same lowongan kerja medan you are attaining. Which means, typically the follow for which you check out could be the a particular you are likely to are given.
Whenever you arrange Rolex GMT Excel at II denah model desain gambar kamar tidur minimalis available on the market, problems in later life that marilyn and i have a relatively repute towards safer take care of. Which means, every different follow that marilyn and i offer for sale happens to be reviewed by a number of stages of this construction system for the purpose of denah model desain gambar rumah minimalis routine service from good values not to mention by any sort of purpose, should we tend to realize that typically the values are actually left out, we tend to simply just refuse typically the lowongan kerja there. Entire body care and attention might be applied to assure anytime you pay for Rolex follow normally fabricated using because of a lot of our online site, you could be promised that you will in no way find a healthier copy around the globe! Length!
With nail fungus, itching sometimes occurs although not each of the cases. http://www.funguskeyproreview.com/
From travel bores to finding something edible - 50 travel perils we all want to avoid
We asked for your ultimate travel experiences – and you voted in your thousands. So here it is, the definitive travel wish list...
Last week it was travel complaints, this week we asked YOU to tell us the stupid things you've heard on your travels. Here are the funniest 13
List blogs are generally an excuse for the author to show off about something or other... Not this one
Simply select the destination you’re interested in or the activities you’re looking
for and we’ll send your request to a select panel of tour operators.
Each operator will respond to your request individually. Your details remain private
and are not disclosed to any partners unless you decide to proceed with a booking.
Save £100 per person on any Tell Tale trip to Sri Lanka!
Save 5% on travel insurance with InsureandGo
Visit Colombia from £1999 per person, including flights & accommodation.
Wanderlust sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web
exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!
I have read and agree to the Terms &
Where in the world are you? Add
#wanderlustmag to your tweets and share your latest travel adventures with
fellow Wanderlusters on wanderlust.co.uk
Get to know Wanderlust on facebook and bring all your travel-minded friends, too