Terms and Conditions
Terms & Conditions
Open to amateur photographers only; free entry. All entrants are deemed to have accepted these rules and agreed to be bound by them.
- There are four categories:
- Travel Icons (classic travel images that sum up a destination).
- You may enter up to four photos IN TOTAL. This can be across all categories or within selected categories (eg, four shots in one category OR two shots in one, two in another OR one in each, etc). One submission per individual; multiple entries will be disqualified.
You can submit photos to the competition for free at www.travelphotooftheyear.co.uk.
- Save your images as JPEGs with a max file size of 1MB. If your image is shortlisted, we will request a higher-res copy.
- Go to www.travelphotooftheyear.co.uk and click on the link to ‘Enter here’.
- Fill out your details in the top half of the page, making sure you include your contact details.
- Upload your selected images in the correct areas, providing a caption, description and category.
- Agree to the terms and conditions, and state whether you’d like a free pass (for two people) to the London or Manchester Destinations 2019 Shows at the bottom of the page.
- Click 'Submit' and you’re all done! Shortlisted photographers will be contacted in December 2018.
You can also submit prints and digital images by post. Here’s how:
- Postal entries must be accompanied by an entry form (download here). Photocopies are acceptable.
- A separate sheet must also accompany each entry, with the entrant’s name and a brief caption (subject, location) for each photo.
- Entries will be retained until after judging in Feb 2019.
- If you’re submitting prints, mark the photographer’s name on the back (on a label, not directly on the print).
- Prints from digital originals: include a CD (ISO cross-platform Mac/PC) with the original JPEG or RAW files, with all metadata intact. These may be used to check that any alterations made are within our rules. CDs must be clearly labelled with the photographer’s name.
- Do not send negatives – they will be requested if needed.
- Only entries accompanied by an adequately stamped SAE (stiffened/padded) large enough to carry the photo will be returned. All others will be disposed of after judging. International subscribers who want their images to be returned should determine the postage cost from the UK (see www.royalmail.com – following the link to Postal Prices and Airmail). Include an SAE and send a cheque, in sterling (drawn from a UK bank), or an international money order, for the cost of the return postage, made payable to Wanderlust Publications Ltd.
- Please tick the box on the form if you want to be contacted by The Promoter (Wanderlust Travel Media), the Prize Providers (Hong Kong Tourism Board and the Macao Government Tourism Office), the Prize Partners (Nikon) or the sponsors.
- Shortlisted photographers will be contacted in Dec 2018.
General entry guidelines
- Each entry must reflect the theme of travel and be suitable for its category.
- Images must be sufficiently high resolution to be printed, without loss of quality, to A3 exhibition standard – therefore your image must be A3. As a guideline, your camera will need to be 6MP+ and the image will need to be A3 proportion ideally at a minimum of 300dpi.
- Minor digital adjustments are allowed, such as levels, curves, contrast, colour, saturation, sharpening and cropping. However, we are interested in shots that capture the moment, not ones that create it, so the image must still be a faithful representation of the original scene. Composite and multiple exposures are NOT allowed, nor the adding or removing of subjects into or from the image. Some basic cropping is allowed, but the crop and resolution must still be appropriate for an A3 exhibition print.
- Any photos in the Wildlife category must be taken in the wild. Any images of wildlife taken in captivity, staged scenarios (including being fed/lured by humans), scenarios created by human input or generally not taken in the natural course of events will be disqualified.
- Black-and-white images may be shot in colour and de-saturated, then have a duotone or sepia tone applied. These pictures will be judged on their merits.
- Originals of all entries must be available on request.
- By entering this promotion and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, you accept that the Promoter (Wanderlust Travel Media), the Prize Providers (Hong Kong Tourism Board and Macao Government Tourism Office) and any other Prize Partners (Nikon) may use your name for their promotional and publicity purposes, without the payment of any fee, nor the requirement for prior notification or permissions. You accept that the data provided within your entry may be held (for a period of up to five years) in order to contact you in relation to the competition, for the purposes of verifying your entry, administering the prize selection and competition, for redemption of the prize and for any commercial opportunities that may arise from your image.
Rules & restrictions
- Photos that have previously won competitions with a prize exceeding £100 cannot be entered.
- Employees of Wanderlust, Think Publishing, Hong Kong Tourism Board, Macao Government Tourism Office, Nikon, Clarion Events, any additional POTY partners, and regular Wanderlust contributors are excluded.
- This competition is for amateur photographers only. Individuals who lead photography tours, teach photography classes, work as any type of photographer or photo-journalist (whether part- or full-time), or whose primary source of income is from the sale of their photos, are excluded.
- Exclusions: prints larger than A4 (300mm x 210mm); transparencies with glass mounts; entries submitted in tubes; photos that have been manipulated digitally outside of our stated guidelines.
- The organisers take no responsibility for loss, delay or damage to photos. Entries at photographer’s risk.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any technical issues (or other) that impede an entrants' entry being submitted correctly and/or in full. The Promoter is not responsible for any changes in e-mail, mailing address and /or telephone numbers provided at time of entering the prize draw. The promoter is in no way liable for the reproduction or indirect access via third party web site or home page access which reproduction misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with the promotion
- The closing date is 23:59 on 15 November 2018.
Prizes & awards
- Up to ten entries in each category will be displayed for judging at Destinations 2019. The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The four category winners and runners up will be announced in February 2019 at Destinations 2019, London. The winners will also be listed in Wanderlust Magazine. Name of winners will be available on request, enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope.
- The category winners will be contacted within 10 business days of the announcement. The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to contact the winners using the contact details supplied upon entry. If a winner does not respond within 14 business days of the first notification, the winner forfeits their right to claim the prize. The Promoter shall not be responsible should a winner provide incorrect contact details.
- If a category winner is unable to take up their prize for any reason, the Promoter reserves the right to award it to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen will not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever.
- There will be a separate ‘visitor vote’ winner, who will be voted for by visitors to the Wanderlust Travel Photo of the Year exhibition at Destinations 2019; the results announced at a later date after the shows have taken place and the votes counted. The ‘visitor vote’ winner is not eligible for the photo commission prize trip.
- The four category winners will win a photo commission to Hong Kong and Macao supported by Hong Kong Tourism Board and Macao Government Tourism Office. Each category winner can bring a travel companion of their choosing. The Promoter and the Prize Providers will provide a specific photographic brief to be fulfilled (within reason). The best photographic conditions are during the autumn months of September and October.
- The trip includes:
- return economy flights between London or Manchester and Hong Kong International, and standard airline luggage allowance;
- return transfers between Hong Kong and Macao;
- one-way airport transfer from Hong Kong International to Hong Kong hotel;
- Three nights of accommodation in Hong Kong and three nights of accommodation in Macao; rooms are shared accommodation for two;
- the prize must be taken anytime within 31st March 2019 and 31st October 2019, the prize is subject to availability and black out dates may apply;
- the prize must be booked no later than 30th April 2019 and at least 4 weeks prior to proposed departure date. Entrants agree that organising the winners trip may take longer than four weeks and all dates are subject to availability;
- any extensions to the stay or amendments to the booking requested by each winner will be chargeable;
- the accommodation, transfers and flights must be taken at the same time as part of the same trip.
- The prize does not include: travel to/from the specified UK airport; Food and beverages not specifically mentioned in the itinerary; Spending money; Any other excursions, travel, accommodation, attractions or tips not outlined in the itinerary; Any other personal or medical costs; Travel insurance and visas; additional luggage allowance.
- All trips will originate from London or Manchester and the winner and travel companion is responsible for making their way to the departure airport and for arranging any necessary visas, insurances and vaccinations.
- The category prize winner and their chosen travel companion must travel together (on both outbound/inbound flights). Both must hold a passport valid for 6 months from date of return, and hold the necessary visa and/or passport for travel to Hong Kong and Macao. Prize winners must obtain travel insurance for the duration of their trip, pre-departure.
- The Promoter and Prize Providers/Partner do not accept any responsibility for any liabilities, damage, disappointment, injury, death or loss incurred as a result of participating in the promotion or accepting the prize other than such liability that cannot be excluded by law, where liability shall be limited to the minimum permissible by law.
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this prize and without notice in the unlikely event of force majeure, war, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any similar event or if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- Participants must be over 18 years old. Travel companions accompanying the prize winners’ photo commission trip must also be over 18 years old.
- The Promoter (Wanderlust Travel Media) is based in the UK and the competition prize will be delivered under the terms of the UK’s laws and regulations. By entering this competition and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, entrants from outside the UK agree that The Promoter, the Prize Providers, the Prize Partners and any subsequent sponsors or media partners will not accept any liability or responsibility for any extra costs or issues incurred by the entrant not being a resident of the UK. This includes, but is not limited to: any non-UK taxes that may apply in the entrant’s country of residence (such as taxes on competition prizes); any additional travel costs incurred in order to undertake the prize as not already specified as being part of the prize; any differences in exchange rates; any visa implications for travelling via the UK.
- Our ‘runners up’ entrants will receive a Nikon camera. These will not be available for posting outside of the UK; any overseas winners should instead arrange for them to be sent to an alternative UK address.
- The prizes are non-transferable, non-negotiable and there is no cash alternative.
- The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, prize, discount or promotion.
- Each postal entry including a further stamped address envelope will receive a free pass for two people to Destinations 2019.
- Prize-winning and commended photos may be reproduced free of charge by the Promoter, the Prize Providers, the Prize Partners and any subsequent media partners, including their websites, and may be used by any of the sponsors and organisers of Wanderlust’s Travel Photo of the Year 2018 competition, without payment, in direct promotional material related to the competition and exhibition only.
- Copyright of entered photos remains with the photographer in its entirety. However, the photographer grants The Promoter, the Prize Providers, the Prize Partners, media partners and sponsors non-exclusive rights to free production and exhibition of prize-winning and commended entries but only in direct promotion of and publicity for this competition for up to five years. Where possible, credit will be given. Photos cannot be sold by any third party without the photographer’s permission.
- The photographer also grants The Promoter, the Prize Providers, the Prize Partners, media partners and sponsors non-exclusive rights to use any submitted photo in direct promotion of and publicity for this competition during the period for which entries are being accepted. Where possible, credit will be given. Such use of a submitted photo does not in any way imply that the photo will be shortlisted by the panel of judges.
- There may be opportunities for winning photographers to benefit from the commercial use of their image but they will always be contacted first to obtain their permission.
- Winners retain copyright and ownership of photos taken on the commission. Wanderlust and any subsequent media partners or sponsors may use any of the photos taken on the commission, without payment, for related Travel Photo of the Year follow-up features. The Hong Kong Tourism Board and Macao Government Tourism Office will also be granted free use of the photos taken on the commission for promotional purposes through its own channels and through trade, media and advertising partners; this could include, but is not limited to, brochures, social media, websites, advertising and third-party campaigns. Each category winner will be required to provide a selection of images (an absolute minimum of ten photos from each destination) for this use for an unlimited term.
- The submitted photographs may be published in issues of the Wanderlust Travel Photo Of The Year book. Copyright of the photos will remain with the photographer and the photographer will be credited. Copyright of the book will remain with Wanderlust Publications Ltd.
- The Promoter, Prize Providers and Prize Partners will also use entrants’ personal data for direct marketing purposes where consent has been provided via the opt-in check boxes provided. This includes communications containing news, offers and information. We may also share your personal information, if opt in consent has been given, with third parties, to help manage our business and deliver services. These third parties may include service providers, who perform functions on our behalf such as sending emails, analysis of data, providing marketing assistance. Personal data may be transferred and processed outside of the EU and EEA. You have the right to ask us for more information about the safeguards put in place for transfer of data. You have the right to opt-out at any time, by following the links in the communications to you.
- Prizes and winning trip itineraries may be subject to change.