Terms & Conditions
Open to amateur photographers only; free entry. All entrants are deemed to have accepted these rules and agreed to be bound by them. The closing date is 23:59 on 30 November 2019. The Promoter of this competition is Wanderlust Publishing Ltd.
1) There are four categories:
(i) People (ii) Wildlife (iii) Landscape (iv) Travel Icons (classic travel images that sum up a destination).
2) You may enter up to four photos IN TOTAL. This can be across all categories or within selected categories (eg, four shots in one category OR two shots in one, two in another OR one in each, etc). One submission per individual; multiple entries will be disqualified.
You can submit photos to the competition for free at wanderlust.co.uk/photooftheyear
1) Save your images as JPEGs with a max file size of 1MB. If your image is shortlisted, we will request a higher-res copy.
2) Go to wanderlust.co.uk/photooftheyear and click on the link to ‘Enter here’.
3) Fill out your details in the top half of the page, making sure you include your contact details.
4) Upload your selected images in the correct areas, providing a caption, description and category.
5) Agree to the terms and conditions, and state whether you’d like a free pass (for two people) to the London or Manchester Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020 Shows at the bottom of the page.
6) Click ‘Submit’ and you’re all done! Shortlisted photographers will be contacted in December 2019.
You can also submit prints and digital images by post. Here’s how:
1) Postal entries must be accompanied by an entry form (download here). Photocopies are acceptable.
2) A separate sheet must also accompany each entry, with the entrant’s name and a brief caption (subject, location) for each photo.
3) Entries will be retained until after judging in Feb 2020.
4) If you’re submitting prints, mark the photographer’s name on the back (on a label, not directly on the print).
5) Prints from digital originals: include a CD (ISO cross-platform Mac/PC) with the original JPEG or RAW files, with all metadata intact. These may be used to check that any alterations made are within our rules. CDs must be clearly labelled with the photographer’s name.
6) Do not send negatives – they will be requested if needed.
7) Only entries accompanied by an adequately stamped SAE (stiffened/padded) large enough to carry the photo will be returned. All others will be disposed of after judging. International subscribers who want their images to be returned should determine the postage cost from the UK (see www.royalmail.com – following the link to Postal Prices and Airmail). Include an SAE and send a cheque, in sterling (drawn from a UK bank), or an international money order, for the cost of the return postage, made payable to Wanderlust Publications Ltd.
8) Please tick the box on the form if you want to be contacted by The Promoter (Wanderlust Publishing Ltd).
9) Shortlisted photographers will be contacted in Dec 2019.
General entry guidelines
1) Each entry must reflect the theme of travel and be suitable for its category.
2) Images must be sufficiently high resolution to be printed, without loss of quality, to A3 exhibition standard – therefore your image must be A3. As a guideline, your camera will need to be 6MP+ and the image will need to be A3 proportion ideally at a minimum of 300dpi.
3) Minor digital adjustments are allowed, such as levels, curves, contrast, colour, saturation, sharpening and cropping. However, we are interested in shots that capture the moment, not ones that create it, so the image must still be a faithful representation of the original scene. Composite and multiple exposures are NOT allowed, nor the adding or removing of subjects into or from the image. Some basic cropping is allowed, but the crop and resolution must still be appropriate for an A3 exhibition print.
4) Any photos in the Wildlife category must be taken in the wild. Any images of wildlife taken in captivity, staged scenarios (including being fed/lured by humans), scenarios created by human input or generally not taken in the natural course of events will be disqualified.
5) Black-and-white images may be shot in colour and de-saturated, then have a duotone or sepia tone applied. These pictures will be judged on their merits.
6) Originals of all entries must be available on request.
7) By entering this promotion and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, you accept that the Promoter (Wanderlust Publishing Ltd) and Prize Partners (Nikon, Travel Texas) may use your name for their promotional and publicity purposes, without the payment of any fee, nor the requirement for prior notification or permissions. You accept that the data provided within your entry may be held (for a period of up to five years) in order to contact you in relation to the competition, for the purposes of verifying your entry, administering the prize selection and competition, for redemption of the prize and for any commercial opportunities that may arise from your image.
Rules & restrictions
1) Photos that have previously won competitions with a prize exceeding £100 cannot be entered.
2) Employees of Wanderlust, Think Publishing, Travel Texas, Nikon, Clarion Events, any additional Travel Photo of the Year partners, and regular Wanderlust contributors are excluded.
3) This competition is for amateur photographers only. Individuals who lead photography tours, teach photography classes, work as any type of photographer or photo-journalist (whether part- or full-time), or whose primary source of income is from the sale of their photos, are excluded.
4) Exclusions: prints larger than A4 (300mm x 210mm); transparencies with glass mounts; entries submitted in tubes; photos that have been manipulated digitally outside of our stated guidelines.
5) The organisers take no responsibility for loss, delay or damage to photos. Entries at photographer’s risk.
6) The Promoter is not responsible for any technical issues (or other) that impede an entrants' entry being submitted correctly and/or in full. The Promoter is not responsible for any changes in e-mail, mailing address and /or telephone numbers provided at time of entering the prize draw. The promoter is in no way liable for the reproduction or indirect access via third party web site or home page access which reproduction misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with the promotion.
7) The judging will take place between 15 November 2019 and 30 January 2020, and will include one independent judge.
8) Entrants must be 18 years old or over and in possession of a valid passport to travel to Texas. Proof of address may be required.
Prizes & awards
1) Up to ten entries in each category will be displayed for judging at Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
2) The four category winners and four runners up will be announced in February 2020 at Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020, London. The winners and runners up will also be listed in Wanderlust Magazine.
3) The category winners will be contacted within 10 business days of the announcement. The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to contact the winners using the contact details supplied upon entry. If confirmation from the winner is not received within seven days from when they are awarded the prize, it will be considered forfeited and another winner will be drawn at random. The Promoter shall not be responsible should a winner provide incorrect contact details.
4) If a category winner is unable to take up their prize for any reason, the Promoter reserves the right to award it to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen will not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever.
5) There will be a separate ‘visitor vote’ winner, who will be voted for by visitors to the Wanderlust Travel Photo of the Year exhibition at Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020; the results announced in the April 2020 issue of Wanderlust Magazine once the shows have taken place and the votes counted. The ‘visitor vote’ winner is not eligible for the photo commission prize trip.
6) The four category winners will win a photography-based experience to Texas supported by the Travel Texas. Each category winner can bring a travel companion of their choosing. The Travel Companion must be aged 18 years old or over. The Promoter will provide a specific photographic brief to be fulfilled (within reason).
7) The trip includes:
- Return economy flights. All outgoing flights to Texas must originate from the UK; all returning flights from Texas must finish in the UK. The winner will be entirely responsible for any travel (including but not limited to travel expenses and accommodation) to/from the UK airports outside of what is provided in the prize package and itinerary.
- Accommodation and activities are to be confirmed at a later date.
- Any extensions to the stay or amendments to the booking requested by each winner will be chargeable.
- The accommodation, transfers and flights must be taken at the same time as part of the same trip.
8) The prize does not include: Spending money, meals, travel taxes, trip kitties, travel insurance, passports, visas, vaccinations, inoculations, additional transfers or regional flights and all other ancillary costs (as well as obtaining any of these) not specified in the prize inclusions are the responsibility of the winner. The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
9) The winner must comply with and is responsible for attending to any inoculation and health regulations or visa requirements (US ESTA visa) required for their destination. The winner will be responsible for ensuring that they have adequate travel insurance.
10) The category prize winner and their chosen travel companion must travel together (on both outbound/inbound flights). Both must hold a passport valid for 6 months from date of return, and hold the necessary visa and/or passport for travel to Texas, US. Prize winners must obtain travel insurance for the duration of their trip, pre-departure. Once the air tickets are booked, no name or date changes are possible.
11) The Promoter and Prize Partners nor any associated third party or sponsors accept no liability for any loss, expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person's negligence) in connection with the promotion or the winners’ enjoyment of the prize, other than such liability that cannot be excluded by law including death or personal injury caused by negligence, where liability shall be limited to the minimum permissible by law.
12) The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this prize and without notice in the unlikely event of force majeure, war, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any similar event or if circumstances arise outside of its control. The promoter and associated partners will not accept any liability for any loss or damages suffered whilst on this trip. The prize must be accepted as offered.
13) The Promoter (Wanderlust Publishing Ltd) is based in the UK and the competition prize will be delivered under the terms of the UK’s laws and regulations. By entering this competition and ticking to accept the competition terms and conditions, entrants from outside the UK agree that The Promoter, Prize Partners and any subsequent sponsors or media partners will not accept any liability or responsibility for any extra costs or issues incurred by the entrant not being a resident of the UK. This includes, but is not limited to: any non-UK taxes that may apply in the entrant’s country of residence (such as taxes on competition prizes); any additional travel costs incurred in order to undertake the prize as not already specified as being part of the prize; any differences in exchange rates; any visa implications for travelling via the UK.
14) The four ‘runners up’ entrants will receive a Nikon camera. These will be received by the ‘runner up’ at the Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020 Show, London, in February 2020. If the ‘runner up’ is not available to collect them at the Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020 Show, London, they will be posted out. Please note: These prizes will not be available for posting outside of the UK; any overseas winners should instead arrange for them to be sent to an alternative UK address.
15) The prizes are non-transferable, non-negotiable and there is no cash alternative. Once the air tickets are booked, no name or date changes are possible. The trip is subject to availability with some close out dates (Bank Holidays and school holidays).
16) The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, prize, discount or promotion.
17) Each postal entry including a further stamped address envelope will receive a free pass for two people to Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020.
18) Prize-winning and commended photos may be reproduced free of charge by the Promoter, Prize Partners and any subsequent media partners, including their websites, and may be used by any of the sponsors and organisers of Wanderlust’s Travel Photo of the Year 2019 competition, without payment, in direct promotional material related to the competition and exhibition only.
19) Copyright of entered photos remains with the photographer in its entirety. However, the photographer grants The Promoter, Prize Partners, media partners and sponsors non-exclusive rights to free production and exhibition of prize-winning and commended entries but only in direct promotion of and publicity for this competition for up to five years. Where possible, credit will be given. Photos cannot be sold by any third party without the photographer’s permission.
20) The photographer also grants The Promoter, the Prize Partners, media partners and sponsors non-exclusive rights to use any submitted photo in direct promotion of and publicity for this competition during the period for which entries are being accepted. Where possible, credit will be given. Such use of a submitted photo does not in any way imply that the photo will be shortlisted by the panel of judges.
21) There may be opportunities for winning photographers to benefit from the commercial use of their image but they will always be contacted first to obtain their permission.
22) Winners retain copyright and ownership of photos taken on the commission. Wanderlust and any subsequent media partners or sponsors may use any of the photos taken on the commission, without payment, for related Travel Photo of the Year follow-up features. The Travel Texas will also be granted free use of the photos taken on the commission for promotional purposes through its own channels and through trade, media and advertising partners; this could include, but is not limited to, brochures, social media, websites, advertising and third-party campaigns. Each category winner will be required to provide a selection of images (an absolute minimum of ten photos from each destination) for this use for an unlimited term.
23) The submitted photographs may be published in issues of the Wanderlust Travel Photo Of The Year book. Copyright of the photos will remain with the photographer and the photographer will be credited. Copyright of the book will remain with Wanderlust Publications Ltd.
24) By entering this competition, each entrant acknowledges that if he or she is a winner, his or her surname and county of residence may be disclosed to persons enquiring, where permitted by law. Any entrant may object to their information being made available in this way, or may request that the amount of information made available be reduced, by contacting the Promoter using the contact details below. In these circumstances, the entrant acknowledges that the Promoter may nevertheless disclose such information to the UK Advertising Standards Authority if required to do so. To request disclosure of winner details, enquirers must submit a request by post (enclosing a stamped addressed envelope) to Wanderlust Publishing Ltd, Capital House, 25 Chapel St, Marylebone, London NW1 5DH no later than 1st March 2020]. Details will only be disclosed (if permitted by law) after all prizes have been validly claimed.
25) The competition and these terms and conditions are governed by English law, and any disputes arising in connection with them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, except that residents of Scotland may also bring proceedings in the Scottish courts.
26) The Promoter and Prize Partners will also use entrants’ personal data for direct marketing purposes where consent has been provided via the opt-in check boxes provided. This includes communications containing news, offers and information. We may also share your personal information, if opt in consent has been given, with third parties, to help manage our business and deliver services. These third parties may include service providers, who perform functions on our behalf such as sending emails, analysis of data, providing marketing assistance. Personal data may be transferred and processed outside of the EU and EEA. You have the right to ask us for more information about the safeguards put in place for transfer of data. You have the right to opt-out at any time, by following the links in the communications to you.
For more details of Wanderlust Publishing Ltd’s use of personal data, please read https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/system-pages/privacy-policy/
27) Prizes and winning trip itineraries may be subject to change.
28) Contact us: Wanderlust Publishing Ltd, Capital House, 25 Chapel St, Marylebone, London NW1 5DH, General enquiries 01753 620426, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered in England & Wales. Reg No: 02811057. VAT No: 635741727
Sign up today for free and be the first to get notified of new articles, new competitions, new events and more!