This outstanding trip takes in four of the most important cities of the old Silk Road, and is perfect if culture and history are your reasons for travel.
Starting our trip in Uzbekistan we will first visit the splendour of Samarkand, Bukhara and Shakhrisabz – the birth place of Timur – before crossing the famous River Oxus and entering Turkmenistan. We then travel on to Merv, one of the great emporiums of the Silk Road (until a certain Genghis Khan flattened most of it) and Margush, where the bronze age archaeological site of Gonur Depe lies, believed by some to represent the capital of the fifth great civilisation of the ancient world. After this we will travel to the curiously named and totally weird modern capital of Ashgabat (the City of Love) before driving north through the Karakum Desert to see the amazing Darvaza gas crater.
Continuing north to visit Konya Urgench we then cross back into Uzbekistan and on to Khiva. The tour ends where it started amongst the leafy streets of Tashkent. This is an interesting and entirely original itinerary you will find nowhere else.
### Highlights: ###
* The stunning sights of Samarkand, Khiva and Bukhara
* Crossing the Oxus River
* The archaeological sites of Merv & Gonur Depe
* The bizarre sights of Ashgabat
* The Darvaza gas crater, one of the “100 places to visit before you die”
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 13 breakfasts, 14 lunches, 13 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* On this tour we will use coaster buses, a Russian minivan(!) and internal flights.
* 13 nights’€commodation ( 10 in hotels, 2 in a guest house & in a wild camp)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust