While most first-time visitors to Burma head understandably north from Yangon to the much€claimed sights of Mandalay, Bagan and Lake Inle, for those who head south an altogether different and less visited world awaits.
On this epic journey which will take us from the Burmese capital to its very southern tip, we’ll not only discover the cultural treasures around Hpa An and Mawlamyaing but also the rural charms of Bilu Island and the thought-provoking World War Two cemetery at Thanbyuzayat. More notably perhaps upon arrival at the remote southerly town of Myeik we’ll head out into the Andaman Sea and charter our own boat for a 5-day journey through some of the stunning 800 islands that make up the tropical Mergui Archipelago. Here, amongst the fading world of the Moken, the so-called “Sea Gypsies” - a tribe of maritime hunter-gatherers who have made this region their home over the last 4000 years – we’ll mingle with the isolated fishing communities who inhabit this area of Burma that was until recently almost impossible to gain the necessary permits to visit.
This tour offers an insight into a very different Burma and as well as offering ample opportunities to relax in the warm waters of Southeast Asia it will be certain to appeal to those who prefer their adventures a little bit more unscripted.
### Highlights: ###
* Discovering the cultural treasures around Hpa An and Mawlamyaing
* Exploring the rural idyll that is Bilu Island
* Paying our respects to those who lost their lives during the building of the Burma-Siam railway
* Sailing through the Mergui archipelago on a privately charted boat and meeting local fishing communities
* Opportunities to swim and kayak in the warm waters of the Andaman Sea
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 12 breakfasts, 12 lunches, 12 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* All transport (local train, minibuses, domestic flight and our privately chartered boat)
* 12 nights’€commodation (6 nights in comfortable hotels, 1 night in a simple guesthouse and 5 nights aboard our privately chartered boat)
* All entrance fees, permits, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust