Peru - In the north of Peru, far away from the country’s most famous attraction - Machu Picchu - can be found an amazing collection of pre-Columbian sites which are amongst some of the most fascinating and little-known in the entire Americas. For not only were these the lands of the Inca, they were also home to the Moche, the Chimu and the cloud warriors of Chachapoyas.
This astonishing odyssey into Peru’s ancient past takes us high up into the Northern Highlands, where the awesome mountain fortress of Kuelap lies shrouded in myth. Travelling through an incredible variety of landscapes from coastal deserts to cloud forests and high Andean mountains, there’ll be ample opportunities for mixing with the locals, (especially for departures which coincide with the the annual Raymillacta Festival in June) in the small highland town of Chachapoyas. In addition we’ll explore the recently discovered cascades of the Gocta Falls - the third highest in the world! - adding to this unique and unforgettable adventure to the very heart of Peru’s ancient legacy.
### Highlights: ###
* Explore the stunning archaeological remains of the Moche, Chimu & Chachapoyans
* Visit the immense pre-Incan fortress of Kuelap
* Trek to the towering cascades of Gocta Falls
* See Cajarmaca, where Pizarro executed Atahualpa and changed world history forever
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 13 breakfasts, 12 lunches, 8 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses and domestic flights)
* 13 nights’€commodation (10 nights in hotels and 3 in eco-lodges)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust