A world away from the Iran of deserts and cities lie the beautiful Alborz Mountains that rise up from the Caspian Sea. Our trip into this seldom visited part of this fascinating country offers a glimpse into a quieter, greener and more traditional side of Iran. We start by travelling to Alamut, one of the castles on Freya Stark’s route in her 1930s classic book, “The Valley of the Assassins”.
Then, after a visit to the impressive Roodkhan Castle and the beautiful and traditional village of Masule, we’ll head up into the higher ranges of the Alborz Mountains for some walks amongst some stunning mountain scenery. Here we may encounter the nomadic Shahsavan, pastoralists who have spent their summers on these high pastures tending to their herds for thousands of years. Using a variety of€commodation from hotels to homestays to camping, this trip combines both cultural and€tive elements to offer a balanced and varied insight into Iran’s mountainous North-West.
This diverse trip finishes with a stunning drive along the Azerbaijan border to Jolfa with its Armenian monastery and vibrant Tabriz with its 7km2 covered bazaar, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
### Highlights: ###
* Exploring the “assassins” castles of Alamut, Lambesar, Roodkhan and Babak
* Experiencing village life in Masule and Sobatan
* Walking in the beautiful Alborz Mountains
* Having the chance to stay with the Shahsevan Nomads
* Wandering the labyrinthine alleys of Tabriz’s UNESCO World Heritage bazaar
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 14 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 13 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* All transport., predominantly in minibuses with the occasional 4WD
* 14 nights’€commodation (10 in hotels, 2 in homestays and 2 camping)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust