Trip reference number: IPE
Trip Operator: Wild Frontiers
With a cultural and historical legacy dating back millennia, the lands occupied by modern day Iran have witnessed the rise and fall of many notable empires. This short but insightful trip, takes us on a journey through the heartland of these empires and ‘behind the veil’ of this much misunderstood country. Please note that some departures are expert led by internationally distinguished Islamic Art Researcher, Dr Mehreen Chida-Razvi; please see Dates & Prices for details.
From the beautiful gardens and shrines of Shiraz, we’ll travel via the atmospheric and timeless remains of the ancient Persian capital of Persepolis to the town of Yazd, with its well-preserved traditional houses and Zoroastrian burial towers. From here we will continue to one of the Middle East’s most spectacular destinations – the C17th and C18th capital of Isfahan. Home not only to some of the region’s finest Islamic architecture and the world’s second largest square, the Mayden-e Imam, this is also a great place to wander through the narrow corridors of the extensive souks with their handicrafts and carpets.
But perhaps more memorable than any of this is the warm hospitality of the people we’ll meet along the way. Most Iranians are incredibly well-educated and widely read and will enjoy nothing more than putting the world to rights with passers-by, and for many visitors such interactions will remain their most enduring memories of the country.
This is a varied and rewarding trip which will very much appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to see the treasures of ancient Persia or has ever wondered what life in Iran is really like.
### Highlights: ###
* Meeting Iranians and enjoying their warm hospitality
* Visiting the ancient site of Persepolis
* Admiring the astounding architecture of Isfahan
* Wandering through the old city streets of Yazd
* Drinking a lot of tea!
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 9 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* This tour will be by bus, depending on local conditions and the group size
* 9 nights’€commodation in hotels
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust