Rising above the jungle canopy, the reminders of a once great Mayan civilisation cast their bewitching shadow€ross the Guatemalan landscape. Towering pyramids pierce the skyline as we gaze upon the remnants of one of the most dynamic and sophisticated civilizations ever to grace the highlands and coastal plains of the Americas.
Guatemala is one of Central America’s hidden gems, a country of incredible diversity, with a history and a culture to match. Lush and volcanic and steeped in Mayan lore, it is a rich mix of natural wonder, native tradition and colonial elegance, much of it as yet unspoiled by the trappings of modern tourism. This incredible adventure takes us deep into the central highlands, where we can soak up the graceful charms of Antigua. We’ll gaze out€ross the breathtaking volcanic landscapes around Lake Atitlan and visit the traditional Mayan villages of the Ixil Triangle. We’ll pick coffee with local farmers and journey by boat to the remote Mayan site of Aguateca, before visiting the unique community of the Garifuna on the shores of the Caribbean.
This is a journey filled with wonder and fascination, where the ancient and the modern worlds come together before the slopes of a volcanic landscape as timeless and beautiful as any on earth. Beyond the ruins of Tikal the Mayan spirit lives on, in the villages and settlements that cling to Guatemala’s low lying plains and fertile mountains.
Please note that the Christmas departure has slightly different itinerary to the regular departures. Please refer to the individual dossiers for details.
### Highlights: ###
* Visiting the amazing Mayan ruins at Tikal as well as lesser known sites like Aguateca
* Witnessing the colourful Lent Celebrations in Antigua
* Experiencing village life in the Ixil Triangle
* Marvelling at the beauty of Lake Atitlan and the Rio Dulce
* Making it to the Atlantic Coast and meeting the Garifuna people
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 15 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 12 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses and motorised boats)
* 15 nights’€commodation (7 in comfortable hotels, 2 in simple hotels, 2 in haciendas, 4 in lodges)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust