Central Africa has long held a fascination for the intrepid and the curious. Here, amongst the impenetrable landscapes of Conrad’s ‘Heart of Darkness’, history and mountains lie shrouded in the mists of time. These jungles echo to the calls of great apes and karyenda drummers in a land forged by the violent upheavals of colonial war, civil strife and volcanic explosion.
This remarkable and unique trip takes us€ross some of the most beautiful and emotive landscapes on the African continent, travelling through Rwanda, Burundi and Eastern Congo as we go in search of the largest gorillas on earth, bubbling lava lakes and a people whose lives and traditions have withstood imperialism and some of the bloodiest conflicts of the last century. Beginning in Kigali we will head south into Burundi, before crossing back into Rwanda and along the expansive waters of Lake Kivu into the Virunga National Park in DR Congo.
Along the way we’ll have a chance to visit the rare lowland gorillas of DR Congo’s Kahuzi-Biega National Park, climb to the summit of one of the most€tive volcanoes in the world and meet a cast of fascinating and inspiring characters who will provide a truly unique insight into this incredible continent.
### Highlights: ###
* Explore Kahuzi-Biega National Park, home to rare Eastern Lowland Gorillas
* Reach the summit of Mt Nyiragongo, one of the world’s most spectacular volcanoes
* Listen to the famous karyenda drummers of Burundi
* Cross stunning Lake Kivu between the towns of Goma and Bukavu
* A unique opportunity to interact with characters and communities along the way
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 13 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 13 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses, dugout canoes, 4WD vehicles and motor-boats)
* 14 nights€commodation (12 in hotels, 1 in a guesthouse and 1 in a local hut)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, permits, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust