Trip reference number: GIM
Trip Operator: Wild Frontiers
Central Africa has long held a fascination for the intrepid and the curious. Here, amongst the impenetrable landscapes of Conrad’s ‘Heart of Darkness’, history and mountains lie shrouded in the mists of time. These jungles echo to the calls of great apes and karyenda drummers in a land forged by the violent upheavals of colonial war, civil strife and volcanic explosion.
This remarkable and unique trip takes us€ross some of the most beautiful and emotive landscapes on the African continent, travelling through Rwanda, Burundi and Eastern Congo as we go in search of the largest gorillas on earth, bubbling lava lakes and a people whose lives and traditions have withstood imperialism and some of the bloodiest conflicts of the last century. Beginning in Kigali we will head south into Burundi, before crossing back into Rwanda and along the expansive waters of Lake Kivu into the Virunga National Park in DR Congo.
Along the way we’ll have a chance to visit the rare lowland gorillas of DR Congo’s Kahuzi-Biega National Park, climb to the summit of one of the most€tive volcanoes in the world and meet a cast of fascinating and inspiring characters who will provide a truly unique insight into this incredible continent.
IMPORTANT: The 24 November 2018 departure will not visit Virunga National Park as it is closed for the remainder of 2018. Therefore this departure will not climb Mount Nyiragongo but instead spend time climbing Mount Bisoke in the Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda. It also includes an overnight stay on Idjwi Island on Lake Kivu in DR Congo. Please refer to the specific tour itinerary for full details.
### Highlights: ###
* Explore Kahuzi-Biega National Park, home to rare Eastern Lowland Gorillas
* Reach the summit of Mt Nyiragongo, one of the world’s most spectacular volcanoes
* Witness the famous karyenda drummers of Burundi in€tion
* Cross stunning Lake Kivu between the towns of Goma and Bukavu
* Visit The Pole Pole Foundation to learn about their conservation work around Kahuzi Biega National Park
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 12 breakfasts, 12 lunches, 12 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* All transport (minibuses, dugout canoes, 4WD vehicles and motor-boats)
* 12 nights€commodation (10 in hotels, 1 in a guesthouse and 1 in a hut on the slopes of a volcano)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, permits, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust