This adventurous trip takes us from the beautiful coastline of Djibouti to the unforgiving Danakil Depression, one of the lowest and hottest places on earth. A journey of contrasts, the trip starts with a boat trip exploring the islands of Moucha and Maskali and the surrounding crystal clear waters before continuing inland towards the Danakil. Heading inland towards Ethiopia, stopping off at Lake Assal, the lowest point on the African continent; and camping next to the lunar landscapes of Lake Abbe before crossing the border.
Once in Ethiopia, the journey into the Danakil takes us to the shores of Lake Afrera, the alien landscapes of Dallol, and a trek to the top of the€tive volcano – Erta Ale. From about 120m below sea level, we then follow the route of the Salt Caravans, climbing the mountains that rise steeply from the Rift Valley into Tigray region and on to Mekele before ending our journey in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa.
### Highlights: ###
* Snorkel around the islands of Moucha & Maskali
* The lunar landscape of Lake Abbe
* Climb Erta Ale, an€tive volcano
* Explore the otherworldly landscape of Dallol
* Camp on the shores of Lake Afrera
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 10 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 11 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport included (4wd vehicles, minibuses, planes and by foot when trekking)
* 10 nights€commodation (3 in hotels & 7 in camps)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
### Erta Ale: ###
Due to the ever changing nature of the volcano and the region, the visibility of the lava lake and lava flows may vary. Please contact the office for the current situation and up to date information.
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust