This is a great itinerary that visits the very best of the northern historical circuit whilst offering a few hidden treasures as well, many of which are not offered, to our knowledge, by any other UK tour operator. Starting our tour in Addis we will fly to Gonder with its medieval castles and then drive up into the wonderful Simien Mountains.
But it is from Axum that the trip really becomes quite different, as we drive – rather than fly – to the World Heritage town of Lalibela via Yeha, through Eastern Tigray and one of the most visually stunning parts of the whole country, to see some of the most rarely seen rock churches. From Lalibela (which for some is considered to be the 8th wonder of the world) we then undertake an incredibly rewarding village walk, spending 2 nights with local communities in conjunction with the charity TESFA (Tourism in Ethiopia for Sustainable Future Alternatives).
As a fitting climax, we finally arrive in Bahir Dar for a stroll beneath the Blue Nile Falls and a boat ride on Lake Tana, the source of the Blue Nile. Read our [Tour in Focus guide to Ethiopia Northern Explorer](http://www.wildfrontierstravel.com/en_GB/community/blog/post/tour-in-focus-ethiopia-northern-explorer).
### Highlights: ###
* Exploring the rarely visited Tigray region
* Highland Village Walk
* Travelling from Gonder to Lalibela by 4WD
* UNESCO sites of Lalibela, Gonder & Axum
* Stunning scenery of the Simien Mountains
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 13 breakfasts, 14 lunches, 13 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (4WDs, minibuses, boats and domestc flights )
* 13 nights’€commodation (9 in hotels, 2 in loges and 2 nights in specially constructed huts (tukuls) with shared facilities)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust