The Nile loops a lazy arc through the arid desert, passing the crumbling remains of a civilisation that once lay at the heart of African trade and culture. But this isn’t the land of the Pharaohs.
This is the ancient land of Kush, the old kingdom of the Meroitic kings, lost for centuries amongst the sands of the Sahara to the south of the great cataracts. Amongst the landscapes of northern Sudan, we find the ancient lands of Nubia, where the desert plains are strewn with an incredible collection of archaeological sites that lie far beyond the tourist trappings of Egypt’s well-trodden Nile Valley. Here we find the remains of a civilisation whose culture and power were equal to that of the Pharaohs and whose lasting legacy is an incredible assembly of pyramids that outnumber even those of their northern neighbour. Travelling by road from Aswan to Abu Simbel, we have a chance to visit this UNESCO World Heritage site before we cross into northern Sudan by a newly opened land border (in 2014).
From here we begin a journey by road that follows the meandering ribbon of the Nile south. We’ll visit the tombs of the Nubian pharaohs and the remains of ancient Coptic kingdoms, we’ll stand before the slopes of the holy mountain of Jebel Barkal and gaze in wonder upon the expansive temple complexes of the Meroitic kings. Finally, our adventure ends amongst the bustling streets and souks of Khartoum, Sudan’s vibrant capital, where the great river begins its long odyssey north, retracing part of our journey€ross some of the most ancient and timeless landscapes on earth.
### Highlights: ###
* Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site at Abu Simbel
* Visit the stunning pyramids of Meroe
* Wild desert camps along the river Nile and meeting friendly villagers along the way
* Ancient sites of Soleb, Jebel Barkal, Nuri, Naqa and Mussawwarat
* Wandering the streets of Khartoum
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 12 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 11 dinners (typically in local restaurants but while camping there will be a cook in charge of all meals)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses, ferries & 4WDs)
* 12 nights’€commodation (3 in hotels, 1 in a Nubian guesthouse, 2 in homestays, 1 in a boutique rest house, 1 in a fixed safari-style camp and 4 nights wild camping)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust