Squashed into a high pocket of land between Sikkim, Assam, Tibet and Arunachal Pradesh in the northeast of India, Bhutan is an extraordinary country, home to a fascinating and unique culture, stupendous scenery and a truly charming people. This trip explores a land that has been cut off from the rest of the world - both through geographical positioning and its own political desires - so much so that in many places things have barely changed at all over the last 500 years.
On the trip we visit some of the many spectacular dzongs and monasteries of this stunning country. The dzongs are the imposing fortresses which are now the civil and religious centres of the districts, often strategically located on hillsides overlooking valleys or beside gushing rivers. We will also take to the trails of central Bhutan to view the rich agricultural landscapes of the countryside, walking through villages of traditional houses with rows of ethereal prayer flags blowing in the breeze, and experience the cultures and customs of these gentle people.
This is a land of demons and spirits, steeped in mysticism, and rituals and will have you gasping in wonder at its unspoilt natural beauty.
Please note that our departures are scheduled to coincide with local festivals where possible, so please check the individual dossiers for details.
### Highlights: ###
* The Monasteries and Dzongs of Bhutan
* The Bhutanese People
* Walking through farmland and villages in the Bumthang valley
* The stunning, gravity-defying Tiger’s Nest Monastery
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 12 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 12 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses/coaster buses).
* 12 nights’€commodation (8 in hotels, 2 in mountain lodges & 2 in homestays )
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust