This exciting short trip offers an amazing insight into the rarely visited and often misunderstood country of Sudan. Blessed with not only some stunning stretches of desert, beneath the sands of Sudan lie some of the most important and visually stunning monuments from the ancient world, including more ancient pyramids than can be found in the whole of Egypt.
This is the ancient land of Kush, the old kingdom of the Meroitic kings, lost for centuries under the sands of the Sahara to the south of the great cataracts. Amongst the landscapes of northern Sudan we find the ancient lands of Nubia, where the desert plains are strewn with an incredible collection of archaeological sites that lie far beyond the tourist trappings of the Nile Valley. From the bustling streets and souks of Khartoum, Sudan’s vibrant capital, where the Blue and White Niles meet we’ll follow the mighty Nile river north in 4WDs, discovering some of the desert’s best kept secrets.
However this trip is not just about visiting the UNESCO archaeological sites of Jebel Barkal and Meroe and enjoying the desert wilderness – it is also a chance to get beneath the skin of this country and meet the Sudanese people, whose hospitality and kindness are long remembered by those who have travelled to their lands. This is a great trip which will be sure to appeal to those for whom the desert holds a certain magic.
### Highlights: ###
* Visit the stunning pyramids of Meroe
* Wild desert camps along the river Nile and meeting friendly villagers along the way
* Ancient sites of Meroe, Jebel Barkal, Naqa and Mussawwarat
* Wandering the streets of Khartoum
* Witness the spectacular whirling dervishes ceremony in Omdurman
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 7 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 7 dinners (typically in local restaurants but while camping there will be a cook in charge of all meals)
* All transport (coaster bus whilst in Khartoum and 4WDs)
* 7 nights’€commodation (2 in a hotel, 1 in a boutique rest house, 1 in a fixed safari-style camp and 3 nights wild camping).
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust