This exciting short trip offers an amazing insight into the rarely visited and often misunderstood country of Sudan. Blessed with not only some stunning stretches of desert, beneath the sands of Sudan lie some of the most important and visually stunning monuments from the ancient world, including more ancient pyramids than can be found in the whole of Egypt.
This is the ancient land of Kush, the old kingdom of the Meroitic kings, lost for centuries under the sands of the Sahara to the south of the great cataracts. Amongst the landscapes of northern Sudan we find the ancient lands of Nubia, where the desert plains are strewn with an incredible collection of archaeological sites that lie far beyond the tourist trappings of the Nile Valley. From the bustling streets and souks of Khartoum, Sudan’s vibrant capital, where the Blue and White Niles meet we’ll follow the mighty Nile river north in 4WDs, discovering some of the desert’s best kept secrets.
However this trip is not just about visiting the UNESCO archaeological sites of Jebel Barkal and Meroe and enjoying the desert wilderness – it is also a chance to get beneath the skin of this country and meet the Sudanese people, whose hospitality and kindness are long remembered by those who have travelled to their lands. This is a great trip which will be sure to appeal to those for whom the desert holds a certain magic.
* IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
The 11 November 2017 departure of this tour will travel in the opposite direction to normal (i.e. travel from Khartoum to Old Dongola on day 2 rather than from Khartoum to Naqa on day 2). Please refer to the specific tour dossier for more information.
The 31 December 2017 (New Years Departure) is 1 day longer than the standard Beneath the Sands of Sudan itinerary. Please refer to the specific tour dossier for more information.
### Highlights: ###
* Exploring whole temples in the Archaeological Museum in Khartoum
* Wild desert camps along the Nile
* The holy mountain of Jebel Barkal, a World Heritage Site
* Visiting the stunning pyramids of Meroe
* Meeting friendly nomads in the desert
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 6 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners (typically in local restaurants but while camping there will be a cook in charge of all meals)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (coaster bus whilst in Khartoum and 4WDs)
* 6 nights’€commodation (1 in a hotel, 1 in a boutique rest house, 1 in a fixed safari-style camp and 3 nights wild camping). On the final night you will have€cess to shared rooms for a wash and change
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust