Algeria is one of the most fascinating countries in North Africa, combining a cultural legacy that stretches back millennia along with some of the world’s most dramatic desert scenery. Once colonised by the Romans, the Turks and the French, the country has now emerged from a civil war to reveal itself as a destination of unrivalled scope and grandeur.
Among the vast sands of the Sahara it is home to some of the most beguiling oasis towns in the region; dominated by ancient Ksars or fortified strongholds, the mud brick villages still hold on to traditions that have endured among the desert sands for centuries. It can also boast a number of World Heritage sites, the spectacular ancient site of Djemila and the old Roman port of Tipaza, while its bustling capital, Algiers, offers the traditional Casbah counterbalanced by a wonderfully engaging mix of Ottoman grandeur, colonial chic and modern vibrancy.
This remarkable journey takes us deep into the heart of this unique country, both literally and spiritually, as we journey from the shores of the Mediterranean to the Grand Erg Occidental.
* PLEASE NOTE: THE 05 OCTOBER 2017 DEPARTURE IS ONLY 10 DAYS LONG, SPENDING 1 DAY LESS IN ALGIERS *
### Highlights: ###
* Explore the trditional Casbah in Algiers
* Visit the Roman UNESCO heritage sites of Djemila and Tipaza
* Stroll around Constantine, the picturesque ‘City of Bridges’
* Explore the Timimoun region in the Sahara desert
* Journey around the mighty Grand Erg Occidental and marvel at the beautiful oasis town of Taghit
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 10 breakfasts, 10 lunches,10 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses/coaster bus, train, domestic flights)
* 10 nights€commodation (9 in hotels and 1 night in a local traditional guesthouses)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust