Afghanistan needs no introduction; just the name is enough to have most politicians panicking, journalists packing and wild travellers salivating with expectation. News, time and again over the centuries has focused on this most extraordinary arid and mountainous country in middle-Asia and now, as always, its place at the heart of world affairs is as poignant as ever. Our Afghan Explorer tour takes us through the mountains and plains; following in the footsteps of Marco Polo.
From Kabul and the foothills of the Hindu Kush, we will visit the extraordinary city of Herat; the famous mountain caves of Bamiyan, the breath-taking lakes at Band-e Amir, the historical northern town of Mazar-e Sharif as well as the famous Panjshir Valley. Afghanistan is undergoing tremendous change at the moment but for the vast majority of Afghans, daily life continues in much the same vein as it has for centuries so we will have ample opportunities to witness traditional lifestyles from farming and pottery-making to silk-weaving and daily prayer.
It may sound obvious but anyone wishing to travel to Afghanistan must understand that in places the tourist infrastructure is almost non-existent. Days can be long and hard, and movement can be restricted by security considerations. However, don’t let this put you off - in our opinion Afghanistan is one of the most fascinating countries in the world.
* PLEASE NOTE OUR 2018 & 2019 DEPARTURES ARE CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW DUE TO THE SECURITY SITUATION WITHIN AFGHANISTAN. WE WILL BE REASSESSING THE FEASIBILITY OF RUNNING THE TOUR APPROXIMATELY 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE *
### Highlights: ###
* The city walls & Moghul gardens of Kabul
* Bamiyan Valley & Band-e Amir lakes
* The Shrine of Ali at Mazar-e Sharif
* The beautiful Panjshir Valley
* Herat’s Friday Mosque, citadel & old city
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 11 breakfasts,10 lunches, 11 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* All transport (minibuses, 4x4’s and domestic flights)
* 11 nights’€commodation (all in hotels and traditional guesthouses)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust