Day 1 - Flight: London to Rio de Janeiro
Take an overnight flight from the UK to Rio de Janeiro, arriving the following morning.
Day 2 - Walking Introduction to Rio de Janeiro
Our guide will take you on a walk to introduce you to the area surroundings your hotel so that you can get your bearings upon arrival in a big city like Rio de Janeiro. You will walk along the promenade of Copacabana and Ipanema beaches in order to gain a feeling of Rio de Janeiro's city life - the people, the beach culture, the apartments of the city's affluent, all that makes up the typical "Carioca" life. This short introduction to Rio (up to one hour) will help with your orientation.
Day 3 - City Tour of Rio de Janeiro
We start this full day tour by visiting the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer at Corcovado Mountain from where you can admire the magnificent 360 degree view of Rio de Janeiro - the beautiful bay, the lagoon, the famous Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon beaches and the massive granite peaks that dwarf the tall buildings. We will drive through the Tijuca Forest and past the Maracana Stadium (a stop there is optional) to the Sambodromo, the site of the famous carnival parades, to visit the museum.
Continue to the Bohemian Santa Teresa district once home to the rich and famous but where now the majestic views draw writers, musicians, artists with galleries. Its hillside location affords stunning views of Rio, and its cobbled streets add to its charming atmosphere. We stop for a lunch break (lunch is not included so that you can choose your own preference). In the old days, when Copacabana was but a swamp, the higher ground of Santa Teresa was the preferred area to live due to the cooler, fresh air so magnificent mansions were built, later to be out of favour, but many are now being renovated.
We continue to the historic city centre of Rio de Janeiro, where the Royal Family lived, and walk (2 to 3 hours) through the bustling streets and stop at the Confeitaria Colombo, one of the oldest coffee shops in Rio. Visit the Cathedral, the Imperial Palace, the Church of Sao Jose and Cultural Centre on Praca XV admiring the unique colonial architecture. Later in the afternoon we drive back to your hotel.
Day 4 - At Leisure in Rio de Janeiro
Today you have the flexibility to pursue your own interests, take optional excursions and relax.
Day 8 - Return Flight to the UK
Enjoy your morning and afternoon in Rio, before taking a return flight home in the early evening and arriving the following day.
We have a range of excursions available providing an authentic experience to enhance your visit of Rio de Janeiro:
- Historic Tour of Rio's Royal Palaces, Churches, Monastery & Heritage
- Statue of Christ the Redeemer at Corcovado Mountain
- Botanical Gardens, Lagoon & Sugar Loaf Mountain
- Walking in the forest up Gavea, Urca or Sugar Loaf Mountains
- Football at the Maracana Stadium
- Private Museums & Art Galleries
- Laura Alvim Teatre & Cultural Centre
- Horse Racing at the Jockey Club
- Petropolis : Summer Residence of the Emperor & Royal Family
- Guanabara Bay and/or Tropical Islands by Schooner
- Shopping for Clothes, Paintings, Pottery, Woodwork, Interior Decorations
- Craftsmanship of Brazilian Precious Stones & Jewellery
- Music of Brazil: Bossa-Nova, Samba, Forro, Pagode, MPB and others
- Classical Music, Gregorian Choir & Opera
- Three Eco-systems: Atlantic Forest, Mangroves & the Botanic Gardens
- Carnival Parade at the Sambadrome
- National History, Fine Arts, Modern Art, Folklore & Republic Museums
- Landscape Gardens & Niemeyer architecture
Hiking in Rio de Janeiro:
- Trek up to the top of Sugar Loaf (5 Hours)
- Trek up to the top of Pedra da Gavea (8 hours)
- Adventure Park "da Catacumba"
- Hiking on Ilha Grande (Full Day or 1 or 2 Nights)
- Hiking on Parati Peninsula (1 Night)
Days 1-3 - Relax on Buzio's beaches
Transfer to the trendy beach resort of Buzios two hours north of Rio de Janeiro and staying at for three nights at your chosen hotel
Day 4 - Transfer to airport
Transfer to the airport for your overnight flight home, arriving on Day 11.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust