Wine in Georgia - Limited Edition
It’s official: Georgia is the ultimate travel destination for wine enthusiasts. Georgians have always been passionate about their wine, but when archaeologists uncovered 8000-year-old pottery fragments with traces of wine residual on them, it only confirmed suspicions – this frequently overlooked nation straddling Europe and Russia makes some incredible local drops. They’ve had centuries to hone their production techniques. The country’s rugged peaks, courtesy the Caucasus Mountains, and fertile valleys not only make for some beautiful scenery, but also produce a unique variety of grapes perfect for winemaking. Add to that a mouth-watering food culture (think gourmet comfort food), burgeoning art scene and beautiful, historic towns, and you have all the makings of an unforgettable wine-tasting journey.
- A walking tour of Tbilisi reveals an intriguing city where East meets West. Discover Tbilisi’s Orthodox cathedrals, ancient fortress, colourful balconies, hidden courtyards and fantastic dining scene. Don’t miss taking a therapeutic dip in one of the town’s sulphur baths.
- Georgia’s most famous wine-producing region, Kvareli, also happens to be one of its prettiest. Admire vistas of lush valleys and the Caucasus Mountains on a visit to the 18th-century, hilltop town of Sighnaghi, while sampling some of the region’s best natural wines.
- Discover the secret to making two Georgian staples at a cooking masterclass –Georgian-style bread and a local sweet of candied nuts and grapes called churchkhela.
- Learn the role the Georgian royal family historically played in cultivating Georgia’s renowned winemaking legacy with tasting visits to two royal estates that double as respected wineries.
- Georgian wines are like no other – using ancient techniques where the whole grape (stems, skins and all) are fermented in underground clay vessels called qvevri – this natural style of wine production will leave an unforgettable taste in your mouth.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust