Splendours of China
Take a journey into a land overflowing with ancient history, myth and legend but heading fast into the modern world. From contemporary Hong Kong, step back in time with the painterly scenery of the Yunnan and Guangxi provinces, where the Yangzi and Yalong rivers meander through dramatic limestone karsts and crash through the spectacular Tiger Leaping Gorge. Spend time with locals as you cook Chinese dishes, learn Tai Chi, stroll through minority tribe towns, and absorb the culture in a central square or at a local show. Take memorable hikes through rural landscapes with stunning views of ancient villages and temples, before heading north-east to Shanghai, where the bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace provide a glimpse into the dazzling global future of China. Experience wonders both manmade and natural, see the waterways of the ‘Venice of the East’, the enigmatic faces of the Terracotta Warriors and the imperial highlights of Beijing, the engendered pandas of Chengdu, the serene surrounds of the Three Gorges and the beauty of endless stretches of the Great Wall set in rolling hills. This is a trip that will bring you the real China, where tradition and modernity fuse in an exhilarating concoction.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2017:
From 1st January 2017 this trip will become 28 days in length. Based on feedback of the standard of accommodation in Tiger Leaping Gorge being lower in other destinations we will now visit for a day trek and return to Lijiang for the night.
- Explore the memorable limestone karst scenery of Yangshuo, immortalised in countless traditional Chinese paintings
- Spend the night in a guesthouse in the lovingly restored town of Shaxi, visit the dizzying Friday Market and be transported back to when it was a significant stop on the Tea Horse Trail
- Enjoy two days to hike around the dramatic scenery of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Stay in the centre of Lijiang’s Old Town and get lost in its culture and jumble of shops and temple-filled alleyways
- Discover Shanghai's bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace, which provides a glimpse into modern China
- Stoll the canals, alleys, and bridges of Zhouzhuang, the Venice of the East, much like Marco Polo did almost 800 years ago
- Learn about the endangered (and adorable) giant pandas’ struggle for survival, and get up close to these unique creatures in Chengdu
- Step back in time with a boat trip through the iconic scenery of the Yangzi River, which meanders through the spectacular Three Gorges
- Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see in the faces of the thousands or Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an, and in the endless stretch of the Great Wall as you walk along it
- Get a hands-on insight into Chinese dishes and ingredients with a cooking class in Yangshuo
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust