Splendours of China
Take a journey into a land overflowing with ancient history, myth and legend but heading fast into the modern world. Step back in time with the painterly scenery of the Yunnan provinces, where the Yangtze River crash through the spectacular Tiger Leaping Gorge and travel to the mythed Shangrila, meander through the peaceful pasture dotted with Tibetan villages and join the pilgrims in the sacred Sumtseling Monastery. Wake up from the misty dreams of Yunnan and delve into the journey from historical Beijing to neon lit Shanghai. Experience wonders both manmade and natural, see the imperial highlights of Beijing and the enigmatic faces of the Terracotta Warriors, the engendered pandas of Chengdu and the serene surrounds of the Three Gorges and the beauty of endless stretches of the Great Wall set in rolling hills. Spend time with locals as you cook Chinese dishes, learn Tai Chi, stroll through minority tribe towns, and absorb the culture in a central square or at a local show. Take memorable hikes through rural landscapes with stunning views of ancient villages and temples, before heading north-east to Shanghai, where the bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace provide a glimpse into the dazzling global future of China.
- Explore the memorable limestone karst scenery of Yangshuo, immortalised in countless traditional Chinese paintings
- Spend the night in a guesthouse in the lovingly restored town of Shaxi, visit the dizzying Friday Market and be transported back to when it was a significant stop on the Tea Horse Trail
- Enjoy two days to hike around the dramatic scenery of Tiger Leaping Gorge
- Wander through a Tibetan village in the dreamy Shangrila pasture lands. Learn about Tibetan culture over a steaming cup of yak butter tea.
- Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – see in the faces of the thousands or Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an, and in the endless stretch of the Great Wall as you walk along it
- Learn about the endangered (and adorable) giant pandas’ struggle for survival, and get up close to these unique creatures in Chengdu
- Step back in time with a boat trip through the iconic scenery of the Yangzi River, which meanders through the spectacular Three Gorges
- Get a hands-on insight into Chinese dishes and ingredients with a cooking class in Yangshuo
- Discover Shanghai's bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace, which provides a glimpse into modern China
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust