Orthodox Christmas in Ukraine: Limited Edition
From the cobbled streets of Lviv, travel to the furthest edges of Western Ukraine to experience a snowy Orthodox Christmas in the highlands. As scenic as it is remote, travelling into the Carpathian Mountains feels like a true adventure. With difficult territory providing protection from the reaches of much USSR policy, the Hutsul people who live here remain remarkably traditional in dress and custom. You’ll get to spend an Orthodox Christmas eating, drinking and living with the locals in a traditional farmhouse, joining them for symbolic feasts and market trips.
- Enjoy an unforgettable Orthodox Christmas Eve dinner with your hosts in the highlands, complete with candles, carols and more.
- See the historical and surprisingly beautiful town of Lviv lit up with lights for the festive season.
- Witness storybook scenes in the Carpathian Mountains, where forests of spruce and pine are dusted with powdery snow and rolling hills turn white in winter.
- Stay with a Hutsul family in a community where many still live their lives according to a mixture of Christianity, folklore and respect for nature.
- Head to the markets and watch some Vertep, a form of portable puppetry with a rich tradition as a form of political and social satire.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust