Highlights of the Western Balkans
Croatia has been a hot travel destination for a while now, but Bosnia & Herzegovina and Serbia are really beginning to emerge as exciting places to experience. This itinerary combines the best of them; a colourful tapestry of cultures, landscapes and traditions. The legacy of a conflict that rocked the region in the 90s is beginning to fade, and in its place is blooming one of the continent’s true renaissance stories. This is a chance to see the Western Balkans before the boom – with scenery like this it won’t be long until the tourist hordes begin to take notice.
- As well as the long time favourite Dubrovnik, you'll experience one of Europe's most interesting (and safe) cities of the moment – Sarajevo.
- Under the guidance of knowledgable locals, you'll visit some of the region's most beautiful cathedrals, monasteries, palaces, Ottoman mosques and UNESCO-protected townscapes.
- The smaller, lesser-known destinations on this trip are some of the best. The crystalline beauty of towns like Mostar and Blagaj is the stuff of fairytales.
- Montenegro may be a tiny country, but its charms can hardly be overstated. Take a day trip to this land of pristine beaches, mountain peaks and old-world villages.
- The Tunnel Museum is an astounding illumination of Bosnia and Herzegovina's war history, displaying a piece of the very tunnel used during the Siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s.
- Visit the Srebrenica Memorial Center. The Centre honours the thousands who died in the infamous Srebrenica Genocide of 1995. The local guide who has lived through the horrors of war will answer any question you might have.
- Visit the Zivanovic family’s honey museum and winery in Sremski Karlovci. Their old house has been converted into museum full of beekeeping memorabilia and the have had a wine cellar here for 300 years. You’ll try Bermet dessert wine which is a speciality of the region. Reports suggest it was drunk at the emperor's court in Vienna and was even served on the Titanic. This family are said to have kept the original recipe.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust