Highlights of Ethiopia
*** In 2019 this trip will increase to 11 days. The additional day will be spent in the beautiful Simien Mountains at our Feature Stay lodge. Your day here can be spent enjoying the fantastic views from the lodge balcony while drinking Ethiopian coffee, or perhaps visiting the local community and learning how to make injerra - the national dish of Ethiopia. ***
Compared to what is found in Ethiopia, a more perfect combination of history, tradition, culture and nature couldn’t be created. Ethiopia is an incredible look back into history of the earth and humans. From 3 million-year-old fossilised hominid remains in Addis Ababa to incredible rock-hewn churches, hidden crypts and grottoes in Lalibela, this trip uncovers the 500-year-old monastery islands of Bahir Dar, the elegant castles and palatial complexes that stand guard over the city of Gondar, the majestic geological formations of the Simien mountains, the giant obelisks that rise of Axum, and even the rumoured home of the Ark of the Covenant. Concentrating primarily on the north of the country, take in views of the Blue Nile, trek to the peaks of the Simien Mountains (meeting red chested Gelada baboons), taste the famous coffee and delectable cuisine, and encounter the genuine and friendly people along the way. This is an adventure like no other.
- Enjoy an afternoon tour of Addis Ababa, including the National Museum, Holy Trinity Cathedral and the public square, plus a traditional Ethiopian dinner at a local project which helps local youth.
- Sitting at 2,500 metres above sea level, Ben Ababa restaurant is a jumble of walkways, viewing platforms and firepits overlooking historic Lalibela.
- Embark on a cruise around Lake Tana – Ethiopia's wonderland of islands and monasteries – and sip a sundowner on deck at the day's end.
- Walk through the Simien Mountains National Park and up to Sankaber before retiring to your feature stay for the trip – the architecturally designed Limalimo Lodge.
- Witness the amazing rock-hewn churches of Lalibela on a guided tour over two afternoons, and sit down to an open-air dinner with spectacular views over the town.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust