Compared to what is found in Ethiopia, a more perfect combination of history, tradition, culture and nature couldn’t be created. Ethiopia is an incredible look back into history of the earth and humans. From 3 million-year-old fossilised hominid remains in Addis Ababa to incredible rock-hewn churches, hidden crypts and grottoes in Lalibela, this trip uncovers the 500-year-old monastery islands of Bahir Dar, the elegant castles and palatial complexes that stand guard over the city of Gondar, the majestic geological formations of the Simien mountains, the giant obelisks that rise of Axum, and even the rumoured home of the Ark of the Covenant. Take in views of the Blue Nile, the peaks of the Simien Mountains and the Rift Valley. Cross the savanna, look out for wildlife, taste the famous coffee and delectable cuisine, and encounter the genuine and friendly people along the way – in the Omo Valley, meet a diverse and fascinating range of distinct tribal groups. Explore by 4WD with your local leader, stopping at local markets and villages to discover one of Africa's last great wilderness areas. This is an adventure like no other.
- Enjoy an afternoon tour of Addis Ababa, including National Museum, Holy Trinity Cathedral and the public square, then a traditional Ethiopian dinner at local project helping the youth of Addis Ababa.
- Take a cruise around Lake Tana - Ethiopia's largest body of water and a source of the Nile - enjoying an on-deck sundowner after checking out island monasteries.
- Venture out on a game walk through the grasslands of the Nechisar Plain in search of zebra, kudu and gazelle.
- Walk through the Simien Mountains National Park and up to Sankaber before staying at our feature stay - the architecturally designed Limalimo Lodge.
- Enjoy a sundowner, local music and dancing on the terrace of our Konso lodge.
- Uncover the eight distinct tribes that call the Omo Valley home, and gain a deeper understanding and respect for their lifestyle and traditions.
- Learn about the importance of scarification and hair grooming for the Karo and the Hamer people in the market town of Turmi.
- See the amazing rock-hewn churches of Lalibela with a guided tour over 2 afternoons before an open-air dinner with spectacular views looking over Lalibela.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust