Yunnan & Tiger Leaping Gorge
Experience the breathtaking natural scenery, historical attractions and rural lifestyles for which the Yunnan province is renowned for on this active trip through Tiger Leaping Gorge. One of Asia's finest geological wonders, the gorge is best beheld from the winding hiking trails high above the Yangzi River – so prepare for some trekking! Staggering panoramas of mist-draped mountain peaks, deep ravines and gushing river gorges await those willing to raise their heartbeats a little, while some time in the chilled-out towns of Dali, Shaxi and Lijiang offer an excellent opportunity to mingle with locals.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will visit Shangrila, instead of Nuodeng. This is in response to feedback regarding long travel days and will allow us to reduce the number of hours travelling between destinations. Further details on this change will be available in coming months. The name of the trip will also change to Yunnan Explorer.
- A delightful snapshot of the past, Nuodeng is a lesser visited village on the old salt trading route where we begin our experience of Yunnan's traditional culture
- In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best preserved examples of a traditional town. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
- Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of exploration of one of China's most breathtaking hiking trails
- Picture perfect Lijiang is a must-see destination in Yunnan equally popular for its cobble stone streets and Naxi culture as its recent rebirth as a hot spot for domestic travellers
- Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery
- You've never tried anything like Yunannese food! Get a different perspective on Chinese cuisine with the unique flavours of the local soup, noodle, mushroom and even cheese dishes.
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust