Winter Tatra Adventure
Wandering through the Tatra Mountains feels like an excursion through a pallid snow-touched dream – the only thing greater in beauty than the endless trees and rolling landscapes are the sharp peaks that define the area, not to mention the townships that have developed a symbiotic relationship with the land. On your adventures to the highest range of the Carpathian Mountains, have something more than a mere journey – have an experience.
Feel history breathe off the painted buildings of Zalipie. Understand how snow has affected local history as you travel on the back of a traditional horse-drawn sled. Replenish your energy with hearty meals, stocked to the brim with fine Polish meats and breads. Survey the lands from up high as you glide down ski-slopes. This is how the Tatras need to be experienced – through the kaleidoscopic facets that the locals have come to know and understand. Through enjoyment, tradition and exploration.
- Discover Krakow, one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Central Europe.
- Get off the beaten track and visit Zalipie, a small but pretty village in Poland where every house is painted with folklore motives.
- Discover Zakopane, the winter capital of Poland. Strap on some snowshoes and explore like a mountain goat in the Polish Tatras.
- Join a Kulig, a traditional horse and sleigh ride dating back to the times of polish nobility. Enjoy traditional polish treats along the way; grilled sausages, lard with cracklings, pickled cucumbers and bread.
- Clip in to some cross country skiis and glide around the Slovakian side of Tatra mountains
- Learn to make authentic Polish food, such as pierogi (filled dumplings) and placki (potato pancakes), with a local cook.
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust