Trekking the Appalachian Trail
Because of its booming cultural voice, many visitors to the US overlook the rugged and diverse landscape that categorises the country’s great outdoors. Beyond the 24-hour cities and ritzy metropolises lie pine-topped ranges and lake-dotted valleys. Since 1937 the Appalachian Trail has given wanderers a way to explore the intimidating forests and mountains of the Eastern US and this tour gives you the chance to hike the most memorable and beloved parts of the trail. Get wild in New England, finding your feet along Franconia Ridge and testing your endurance with a hike to the summit of granite behemoth Mt Katahdin.
- Trek the highlights of the scenic Appalachian Trail
- Enjoy dinner and drinks at the historic Greenleaf Hut, a backcountry lodge that has served hikers for nearly 100 years
- Scramble over huge granite rocks to reach the spectacular summit of Mt Katahdin – the official end of the Appalachian Trail
- Strictly protected Baxter State Park is as close as you’re likely to come to true wilderness in this part of the world, and moose and deer are frequently sighted
- Hike to mountain-enclosed Lonesome Lake and the lush Franconia Ridge Trail in the White Mountain National Forest
- Spend a little time in Boston, a city full of character and history
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust