Paraguay Expedition: Asuncion to Iguazu Expedition
Join Intrepid on its first foray into the very heart of South America – landlocked and seldom-visited Paraguay. It’s an off-track destination Intrepid has been eyeing for a little while, and this itinerary will not disappoint those in search of something a little left of the big-ticket destinations. After a taste of local food and culture around the capital, Asuncion, delve into a world of charming colonial-era treasures, wetlands brimming with birdlife, remote Atlantic forest, and Jesuit and indigenous Guarani histories rich in myth and magic. Finally, head over to Brazil and Argentina, where mighty Iguazu Falls delivers the spectacular conclusion.
- Kick off in Asuncion, Paraguay’s understated but loveable capital. A guided tour in and around the city takes in everything from historic mud cottages to Paraguayan embroidery
- Visit the colonial town of Yaguaron, famous for its ornately painted Franciscan church which was once described as the most beautiful church in the Americas
- The lush wetlands of Neembucu boast some 279 different bird species, and on two separate drives through the area there’ll be ample opportunity to spot some
- Discover the intriguing history of Jesuits in Paraguay, with visits to churches, ruins and a historic quarry
- Spend two days as guests of the Hostettler family in San Rafael National Park, where guided day and night walks can take you into the endangered Atlantic forest
- Try a variety of South American cuisine, from Paraguayan vori-vori to rich Brazilian barbecue, even yerba mate-flavoured icecream
- Finish the adventure at mighty Iguazu Falls, taking in its spectacular cascades from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust