Mongolia Expedition: Wilderness of the West
This journey takes you into the wild west of Mongolia, a place where crystal-clear lakes, snow-capped peaks and giant dunes whisper the legendary stories of nomads and nature. Be mesmerised by khoomii (traditional throat singing), stay with nomadic families, search for wildlife including ibex, argali sheep and the elusive snow leopard, then join Kazakh eagle hunters at a local celebration. Beginning and ending in Ulaanbaatar, this adventure unveils the true spirit of Mongolia's traditional nomads with an unimaginably beautiful backdrop.
- Travel to the far west of Mongolia, where the landscape drastically changes from the largest sand dunes in the country to crystal clear lakes and snow-capped mountains.
- Stay with a family in Chandmani, famous for its traditional throat singing, and immerse yourself in music that captures a love for nature, family and animals.
- Spot ibex and argali sheep in the wild and maybe even evidence of snow leopards, then get your birding fix at the incredible Khar Us Lake.
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage-listed petroglyph sites that tell prehistorical tales of the origin of the Mongolian culture.
- Learn about the Kazah tradition of eagle hunting as you join a small and intimate celebration to open the eagle hunting season and visit a traditional falconry school.
- Stay in traditional gers with nomads, sharing laughs and stories over Mongolian milk tea and traditional meals.
- The proud capital of this legendary kingdom doesn't disappoint – discover how Ulaanbaatar is changing with the times while keeping its heritage and wild spirit alive.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust