Mongolia's Naadam Festival
The ancient Greeks may have the Olympics but the Mongols have Naadam. Mongolia’s annual circus-like Naadam Festival is a centuries-old tradition that dates back to the era of the great Khans and their dynasties. Wrestling, archery and horse racing — the three skills that Chingis Khan considered essential for any Mongol warrior — are showcased at the country’s largest celebration of the “three manly sports”. Come behind the scenes as we meet the competitors in the lead up to the festival and discover some of Mongolia’s wild outback, visiting ruined monasteries, flaming cliffs and historic cities.
- Go behind the scenes of Mongolia's Naadam Festival and visit the athlete's training camps as they prepare to compete in the 2017 Naadam Festival.
- Live the nomad life with a family stay at a horse breeder's camp.
- Experience the phenomenal landscapes of central Mongolia.
- Attend the Naadam Opening Ceremony and watch athletes compete for glory in wrestling, horse racing and archery.
- Encounter Mongolia's stunning natural landscape with visits to places such as the Flaming Cliffs and sand dunes of Khongoriin.
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust