Kenya: Women's Expedition
Make your way through the heart of East Africa and meet local Kenyan women from all walks of life, who will share their stories and triumphs in the struggle for gender equality. Hear inspiring stories from our all-female crew including your local leader and driver, Becky, who was the very first female overland truck driver in East Africa. You’ll also have the chance to meet a range of local women – from entrepreneurs, female park rangers and Samburu and Maasai villagers.
Beginning and ending in Nairobi, you’ll visit a bead making workshop, cook chapati with grandma's, go on safaris in the Masai Mara, and Samburu National Reserve and meet a local women’s only support group striving to improve gender equality.
- Journey through Northern Kenya with Becky, the first female overland truck driver in East Africa.
- Get to know some of Kenya’s female wildlife rangers and understand the challenges they face in a male dominated industry.
- Spend time with a single mothers group in Samburu who support each other through sharing profits from making jewellery, and growing organic fruits, vegetables and herbs using purified grey recycled water to sell back to the camp.
- Hike to the Mau Mau caves and learn how women played a key role in helping the Mau Mau people win the war against colonial rule.
- Enjoy high tea while learning about local and global wildlife conservation heroine, Joy Adamson, of “Born Free“ fame.
- Venture out on Game Drive's in some of Kenya's iconic parks; Masai Mara, and Samburu National Reserve.
- Take a tour in Nairobi to visit pig farms run by local grandmothers. It takes just under a year for a grandma’s farm to become sustainable, and her life to change completely thanks to her new livelihood.
- Visit Kazuri, a ceramic bead making workshop with a large workforce of over 340 women skilled in the crafting of ceramic beads.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust