Kenya: Women's Expedition
Make your way through the heart of East Africa and meet local Kenyan women and men from all walks of life, who will share their stories and triumphs in the struggle for gender equality. Hear inspiring stories from our all-female crew including your local leader and driver, Becky, who was the very first female overland truck driver in East Africa. You’ll also have the chance to meet a range of local women – from entrepreneurs, female park rangers and Maasai villagers.
Beginning and ending in Nairobi, you’ll visit women’s only villages, join a cooking class with local women, go on safaris in the Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Samburu National Reserve and meet a local women’s only support group striving to improve gender equality.
- Journey through Northern Kenya with Becky, the first female overland truck driver in East Africa.
- Get to know some of Kenya’s female wildlife rangers and understand the challenges they face in a male dominated industry.
- Spend time at the Umoja Village; a unique women’s only Manyatta founded in 1990 as a sanctuary for survivors of genital mutilation, sexual assault, and forced marriages.
- Visit the Mau Mau caves and learn how women played a key role in helping the Mau Mau people win the war against colonial rule.
- Enjoy high tea while learning about local and global wildlife conservation heroine, Joy Adamson, of “Born Free“ fame.
- Venture out on Game Drive's in some of Kenya's iconic parks; Masai Mara, Samburu National Reserve, and Lake Nakuru.
- Visit a flower farm, which is run predominantly by women. While these women have little or no formal education, working at the farm provides them with a stable income to support their families.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust