Beginning in cosmopolitan Almaty, join us on this exploration through Kazakhstan, from the shrunken Aral Sea to the ancient city of Turkistan, the Silk Road portals of Sayram and Otrar and the majestic, surreal landscapes of Altyn-Emel National Park. Get ready for a rare, fascinating adventure through one of the least-explored corners of the earth.
- Kazakhstan is truly off the beaten track and sees few travellers, especially outside Almaty, and you'll feel the remoteness of Central Asia.
- Explore the Aral Sea, which suffered environmental and humanitarian devastation in the 1960s due to Soviet irrigation projects. Enjoy a homestay with new friends, meet local fisherman and those working with an NGO to restore the area.
- Discover the history and architecture of the Silk Road, visiting ancient mausoleums and mosques on guided tours in the cities of Turkistan, Sayram and Otrar.
- Travel alongside locals and admire wild, sweeping vistas on epic train rides across the Kazakh steppe.
- Surround yourself with the surreal landscapes of the Altyn-Emel National Park, including the mysterious singing sand dunes.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust