Japan Winter Festivals
Be entranced by winter in Japan. Experience the sensational Sapporo Snow Festival, be awestruck by the size of snow sculptures and watch the soft lantern light cast its magic over festivalgoers in Otaru. Explore picturesque landscapes, don some snowshoes for a wintery walk in the coldest Sounkyo and sample some of the region’s finest beers and sakes as you enjoy an adventure of natural, cultural and artistic delights that celebrates the splendour of Japan’s far north.
- Winter is a beautiful time of year to explore Japan. The streets are lit up at night and blanketed in snow, the markets are bustling a piping hot bowl of ramen tastes especially good when it is below zero outside!
- This is a brief but fun packed trip that gets the most out of the northern region of Hokkaido in a relatively short amount of time.
- The Sapporo Ice and Snow Festival is world famous for its huge and elaborate sculptures. Make sure you get your camera out and have your batteries charged as you will take far more photos than you expected!
- The picturesque Snow Light Path Festival in Otaru is a true winter experience. Stroll along the river, gathering around the glowing snow mounds and under lantern light.
- Warm up after your winter wanderings with visits to some of Japan's best-known breweries and whiskey distilleries.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust