Embark on an express journey through the mysterious world of Iran. Not only is this fascinating country a world apart from what’s often represented in the media – it’s a delight to visit in the winter. The weather can be surprisingly pleasant, especially towards the south, and fewer tourists at this time of year means a more immersive experience. Discover refined Islamic cities, colourful bazaars, ancient Persian ruins, and shimmering deserts. Whether you're relaxing in a teahouse in Tehran, enjoying guided tours of ancient cultural sites, or hanging our a local board game cafe in Shiraz, the warmth and hospitality of the Iranian people is endearing and the profound beauty of their land is mesmerising.
- Discover an Iran beyond the media portrayals of a repressive and dour regime – this is a country full of warm, lively and friendly people
- Be invited into an Iranian's home for dinner; a highlight for most travellers. Traditional Iranian food is carefully prepared in the home and can take hours, even days to prepare. Be prepared for plenty of food and the most incredible hospitality.
- Explore the rich history told in the ancient ruins that lie across the country. Modern Iran is a great fusion of civilisations – the Archaemedians, Alexander the Great, the Parthanians, Sassanians, Arabs, Seljuks, Mongols, and Safavids – who all left their mark in innumerable ways
- Experience the wondrous remains of the ancient capital of Persepolis – the scale and grandeur will leave you in no doubt that this was once the centre of the known world
- Enjoy the experience of meeting and mixing with locals in the many popular teahouses through the country and a popular board game cafe hang out in Shiraz!
- Surround yourself with beautiful landscapes and amazing architecture – from breath-taking mosques to stepped hillside villages, cleverly designed wind towers and the macabre Zoroastrian Towers of Silence
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust