Iran: Women's Expedition
Join Intrepid on our first ever female-only, female-led 12 day expedition through Iran. Designed to allow travellers a unique opportunity to discover the customs, food, challenges and lives of local women of Iran through a range of experiences otherwise off limits to our normal mixed gender groups. Although gender segregation is not typically Iranian, strict dress codes imposed by Islamic Law have meant many places & ways of life have become segregated by default. Step inside the hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon, wander through a female only park, and travel by public transport in the female-only carriage of the metro, local buses and an overnight train. Experience rural nomadic life with Qashqai people, meet young female entrepreneurs, and learn secret recipes from those in the know. This trip will expose you to a range of fascinating local women; young, old, religious, conservative, rural, modern and liberal. We would love to open up these real life experiences to all our travellers; however, in order to operate in a socially responsible and culturally sensitive manner this is simply not possible. At least not yet! If you're interested in travelling to Iran on a similar itinerary, check out some of other group departures or speak to your booking agent about a tailor-made itinerary.
- Shop for, prepare and enjoy a five-course meal at a local home in Tehran. It’s a chance to not only experience a lively Iranian bazaar but get behind the scenes of home life, hijab-free
- Enjoy a picnic in one of Iran’s increasingly prevalent women’s-only parks, one of the few places women can enjoy the sunshine without a hijab
- Immerse yourself in rural nomadic life on a beautifully remote homestay with the Qashqai people. Enjoy a meal, sing songs, try on the local dress, and give bread-baking a go
- Step inside the fascinating hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon. You’ll see that these oases for many local women
- Travel by public transport in the female-only carriage of the metro, local buses and an overnight train
- Join a female scarf shop owner in Tehran to learn the many different ways of tying and wearing the iconic Middle Eastern garment
- Experience the wondrous remains of the ancient capital of Persepolis – the scale and grandeur will leave you in no doubt that this was once the centre of the known world.
- While summer is a tempting option, there’s the equally attractive option of beating the crowds and going in winter. It’s actually our favourite time of year to experience this magical country
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust