India Expedition: Tea & Tribes
The northeastern states of India may well be the most beautiful in the entire country. Explore Kolkata, India’s cultural heartland, then set off on an adventure to the unspoiled wildlife reserves, spectacular wetlands and rambling mountain villages that make this far-flung part of the subcontinent such a special one. Check out the eclectic cultures of Sikkim, Assam and Nagaland, search for the iconic one-horned rhinoceros in Kaziranga National Park and take a train trip like no other on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. This is a relatively unexplored part of the country, perfect for an expedition. Be prepared to be wowed.
- Discover India’s cultural capital, Kolkata. Browse the colourful flower market, visit cultural treasures on a guided tour, and explore the Kumartuli district where clay idols are made
- There aren’t too many places in the world like Ima Keithel. This 100% female-run bazaar is an absolute inspiration, and has been around for longer than you might think!
- Travel to Nagaland and learn about the warrior-like Naga tribes in Kigwema Village and Naga Heritage Village
- Embark on a jeep safari through Kaziranga National Park, famous for its one-horned rhinos, and make a day trip to spectacular Cherrapunjee, the wettest landscape on the planet
- It doesn’t get much more romantic than a steam-powered locomotive ride in the Himalayas. Gaze out the windows of the Toy Train as it winds its way through the mountains
- It’s easy to see why Gantok, perched artlessly on a mountain ridge, is a haven for Tibetan Buddhists. Visit the Rumtek monastery and take in superb views from local lookouts
- These photos prove why this part of India is so special: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/northeast-india-photos/
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust