Djibouti's Footsteps of the Afar
With its mix of hiking and snorkelling, this trip is not for the faint hearted. However, if you want to experience life like a nomad as we traverse the Djibouti landscape, float on one of the world’s saltiest lakes and go in search of whale sharks then this trip is right up your alley. The scenery is diverse and spectacular, passing everything from volcanoes, hot springs and salt flats to beaches and forests. Hikes to Lac Assal, Ardoukoba Volcano and Foret du Day National Park are rewarded with free time on the beach at Plage des Sables Blancs and sleeping “Belles Étoiles” (under the stars) at Allouli.
- Discover an emerging tourism hotpot before the crowds do
- The chance to get up close and personal with whale sharks in the Bay of Ghoubbet on a snorkelling adventure
- Sleep overnight in a traditional Afar hut at Campement Touristique d’Asboley, perched on a hill with spectacular views
- Watch sunrise from the shores of Lac Abbe, which featured in the original Planet Of the Apes movie thanks to its famous chimneys, salt flats and hot springs
- Hike through the Day Forest National Park
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust