Choquequirao trek to Machu Picchu
Escape the crowds and delve into the wilds of the Peruvian Andes on this challenging, but deeply rewarding trek to Choquequirao. Believed to be up to three times larger than Machu Picchu (the exact size is unknown as much of it is still covered in jungle), the road to Choquequirao takes you through the scenic Apurimac Valley. Hike steep paths and trails that zigzag through dense cloud forest, dusty desert and spectacularly scenic passes with views of dramatic landscapes and snow-capped peaks. Choquequirao’s secluded splendour will leave you in awe. A trip to Peru wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu; this adventure takes you to some of Peru’s other famous Inca ruins, and also provides time to explore historic Cusco.
- The trek through the Apurimac Valley to Choquequirao is challenging at times, but also incredibly beautiful and serene. You won’t find the crowds of the Inca Trail. Instead, see spectacular views the whole way without another trekker in sight
- Tucked high in the Andes, Choquequirao, doesn’t get the same fanfare as Machu Picchu, but undeservedly so – these sprawling Inca ruins are up to three-times the size of Machu Picchu and incredibly well-preserved. Only a handful of visitors make the journey each day, meaning you often have the whole site to yourself!
- This trek takes you past an incredible diversity of scenery - from cloud forests and canyons to high passes with views of pristine snow-capped peaks
- Enjoy a guided tour of Peru’s most famous Inca city, Machu Picchu, as well as the Inca citadels of Pisac and Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley
- Perched high in the Andes, Cusco is south America’s oldest continuously inhabited city, and an interesting blend of Inca and colonial influences. Spend time exploring its artisan markets, lively squares, historic sites and surprisingly thriving nightlife.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust