Canadian Rockies Winter Adventure
Winter in the Canadian Rockies will fulfil all your snow-covered fantasies. Go on snowshoe hikes through ancient spruce forests and rugged mountains, try your hand at cross-country skiing, skate on a frozen lake in Invermere and go on unforgettable ice walks past towering frozen waterfalls (and possibly a few daredevil ice-climbers) at Grotto and Johnston Canyon. This trip takes you to must-see attractions, as well as off the beaten path in the Rockies. You’ll have the chance to travel the world-famous Icefields Parkway and hike the Athabasca Glacier, and also soak in a natural hot spring amongst stunning winter scenery in the Columbia Valley. Learn a thing or two about curling and hockey – two proudly Canadian sports – from the pros in Canmore, and dine on hearty Canadian favourites in a cosy log cabin in Lake Louise. This action-packed trip is winter in the Rockies at its best, packed with Canadiana.
- This action-packed itinerary is stuffed with incredible winter activities that will get your heart pumping: snowshoe, cross-country ski, skate in the great outdoors and try your hand at fat biking (bikes tailor-made for winter conditions, complete with hand warmers!).
- Go on two unforgettable ice walks at Grotto and Johnston Canyon, past towering frozen waterfalls, staggering icy rock formations and possibly a few daredevil ice climbers.
- Learn a thing or two about two proudly Canadian winter sports – hockey and curling. The pros will show you the ropes, then you’ll get the chance to test out your new skills in Canmore.
- Enjoy a rare opportunity to be ferried over the snow by a pack of gorgeous husky dogs with optional dog sledding in Canmore and Lake Louise, using companies vetted for their humane and ethical treatment of working dogs.
- Invermere on the Lake is picture-perfect any time of the year, but it’s particularly magical in the winter, when its dusted with snow and its lake (Lake Windermere) freezes over and becomes the world’s longest ice skating trail. Spend time skating in the great outdoors while soaking in the stunning mountain scenery.
- See for yourself why the world-famous Icefields Parkway – a stretch of road that winds through soaring mountain peaks, ancient glaciers, pristine lakes, cascading waterfalls and sweeping valleys – is considered one of the most beautiful drives in the world.
- Hike the frosty Athabasca Glacier, one of the most accessible glaciers in the world, for a surreal experience that will stay with you long after you’ve gone.
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust