Best of Ethiopia
Travel to Ethiopia and discover a beautiful country, barely touched by modern society. It’s an incredible combination of history, tradition, culture and nature. From 3 million-year-old fossilised hominid remains in Addis Ababa to the rituals of the Mursi, Hamar, Konso tribes and more through to amazing rock-hewn churches, hidden crypts and grottoes in Lalibela – this trip take you deep into human history. The 500-year-old monastery islands of Bahir Dar, the elegant castles of Gondar, the majestic geological formations of the Simien mountains, the giant obelisks that rise out of Axum, and even the rumoured home of the Ark of the Covenant. This 18 day trip travels through the villages and wildlands of Ethiopia, taking in views of the Blue Nile and trekking to the peaks of the Simien Mountains (meeting red chested Gelada baboons). You’ll be sure to taste the country’s famous coffee and delectable cuisine, and meet the genuine and friendly people along the way. This is an adventure like no other.
NEW UPDATES FOR 2019
In 2019 this itinerary will no longer camp in Mago NP or visit the Mursi tribe but rather have more time in Jinka to learn about injerra making and local life. Further the itinerary will not camp in Simien Mountain NP but rather return to a hotel in Debark. There will be additional day will be in Gondar to have free time discover this historic small town. The length of the trip, day of departure and start & finish points will remain unchanged.
- Visit Hamar villages, sitting with barely any influence from the outside world. If you're lucky, you might get a glimpse of the energetic 'jumping of the bull' – a long running initiation ceremony.
- Meet a Mursi tribe and learn about their unique traditions of extending their lower lips and brutal stick fighting.
- Search for the source of the Blue Nile on a boat cruise at Lake Tana, then discover the churches and unique castles of the regal city of Gondar.
- Trek the majestic series of undulating amethyst peaks that make up the Simien Mountains, looking out for the distinctive red-hearted Gelada.
- Explore Lalibela's unique churches - astonishing constructions sculpted from huge slabs of stone - that make up one of the world's greatest historical and religious sites.
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust