Bagan Short Break
There’s more to Bagan than ancient temples, beautiful as they are. Maximise your time in the city on this action-packed short adventure, which takes you off the beaten track and into surrounding villages. Led by passionate local guides, mix it up with a bike tour around Bagan’s pagodas, a boat trip down the Ayeryarwady River at sunset and guided visits to rural communities, markets and tea houses. Not only will you meet locals and learn about daily life in the Burmese countryside, you’ll also be supporting social enterprise and sustainable community development projects.
TRIP CHANGES FOR 2019:
This trip will be discontinued in 2019. Travellers wishing to see the most of Myanmar in a short time are recommended to check out our Myanmar Highlights (TRSH) trip.
- Cycle to some of the most popular and beautiful temples in Bagan, including Shwe Gu Gyi Paya, Maha Bodi Temple, Bu Paya and Aananda Pahto.
- Visit the village of Taungbe, where locals still get around by horse-drawn cart. Meet a local family, browse the morning market and wander through a 150-year-old wooden monastery.
- Tuck into traditional Burmese fare at Sanon Restaurant. Part of the social enterprise network of Friends International, the restaurant trains marginalised kids in hospitality skills.
- See Bagan from a different perspective and get some great photos as you cruise along the Ayeryarwady River at sunset.
- Explore Kyunkalay, an undeveloped town outside of Bagan that you won’t find mentioned in any guidebooks. Learn how locals are working with a global justice group and using responsible tourism to improve local infrastructure and living conditions.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust