Azores and mainland Portugal
Although modern Portugal can be credited for its contributions to art, architecture and world-class dining, there’s a distant remnant of the Old Empire lying far from the mainland. From the rolling blue hydrangeas of Faial, the steep cliffs of Sao Jorge and the black volcanic soil under the vineyards of Pico – the Azores offer a delightful insight into both island and Portuguese living. Discover a new side to ancient Portugal on this island-hopping Atlantic adventure, starting from mainland Lisbon and ending in Sao Miguel, capital of the Azores.
- Lisbon and Porto are two of the most visited cities in Portugal, and for good reason. Explore a medieval fortress in the middle of cosmopolitan Lisbon and sweeten your day with a port tasting in, well, Porto
- Admire beautiful green pastures as you drive along roads bordered with flowers on your excursion to Capelinhos volcano.
- Enjoy a whale watching tour on a small boat excursion with an experienced guide who’ll offer insights into the lives of these amazing creatures
- Hike to the top of Pico de Pedro, the highest point in all of Portugal!
- Explore Sao Miguel Island and enjoy a local Azore cuisine made using local produce.
Get inspiration every week into your inbox!
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust