Travel overland from Yunnan's modern capital to the fabled land of Shangri-La, a time-forgotten corner of China bordering Eastern Tibet lying under the shadow of the Buddhist holy mountain Kawa Karpo. Stop off along the way at the Bai minority heartland of Dali, stay overnight in a rural Yunnan village, explore the beautiful cobbled town of Lijiang, and experience a spectacular two day trek through Tiger Leaping Gorge.
1. London Heathrow - Kunming: via Bangkok with Thai Airways.
2. Kunming: arrive and check in for a 2 night stay.
3. Kunming - Stone Forest - Kunming: full day tour of the Stone Forest and the Golden Temple.
4. Kunming - Dali: bus journey to Dali. Afternoon at leisure.
5. Dali: half day city tour. Afternoon at leisure.
6. Dali - Shaxi: road journey to the village of Shaxi.
7. Shaxi - Lijiang: road journey to Lijiang with sightseeing. Afternoon at leisure.
8. Lijiang: walking tour of Lijiang.
9. Lijiang - Wenhai Lake - Lijiang: enjoy a guided tour to Wenhai Lake.
10. Lijiang - Tiger Leaping Gorge: trek along Tiger Leaping Gorge. Overnight in the Gorge.
11. Tiger Leaping Gorge - Zhongdian: after the Tiger Leaping Gorge trek drive to Zhongdian to check in.
12. Zhongdian: guided tour of Zhongdian.
13. Zhongdian - Deqin: road journey to Deqin. Check into your hotel for a 2 night stay.
14. Deqin: full day tour of Mount Kawa Karpo.
15. Deqin - Zhongdian - Kunming: fly to Kunming. Transfer to your hotel to relax for the rest of the day.
16. Kunming - London Heathrow: fly to Bangkok and connect with your onward flight home with Thai Airways.
17. London Heathrow: morning arrival.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust