Trip reference number: THOSL
Trip Operator: Bamboo Travel
This classic 2 week itinerary takes you on a tour of Sri Lanka’s essential sights and showcases the huge variation that is crammed into this small Island. The tour starts with a night in Negombo near to the airport to recover from your flight before driving to the cultural triangle region to explore the Buddhist relics and Ancient Cities at the heart of the country. Head south for 2 nights in Sri Lanka’s second city, Kandy, home to the temple of the sacred Buddha’s tooth before making your way by train through the tea plantations to Nuwara Eliya at the heart of the Hill Country where the climate is much cooler. After visiting the unique Horton Plains National Park, continue south, back down through the hills and the sleepy village of Ella to the Yala National Park with its abundant wildlife. From there drive along the south coast, spending two nights on the beach near the famous Dutch Fort of Galle, before your final night in Sri Lanka’s sprawling capital, Colombo.
1. London Heathrow - Colombo: with Sri Lankan Airlines.
2. Colombo: transfer to your hotel in Negombo for 1 night.
3. Negombo - Cultural Triangle: morning drive to Dambulla Cave Temples. Continue to your hotel in Habarana for 3 nights.
4. Cultural Triangle: Morning Climb the famous Sigiriya Rock. Afternoon safari in Minneriya National Park.
5. Cultural Triangle: guided tour of Polonnaruwa.
6. Cultural Triangle - Pinnawala - Kandy: drive to Kandy, via the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.
7. Kandy: visit Peradeniya Botanical Gardens and Kandy city tour.
8. Kandy - Nuwara Eliya: train journey to Nuwara Eliya, via a tea plantation and factory.
9. Nuwara Eliya - Horton Plains National Park - Nuwara Eliya: Early morning trekking in the Horton Plains National Park. Afternoon at leisure.
10. Nuwara Eliya - Yala National Park: drive to the Yala National Park, via Ella. Afternoon safari in Yala.
11. Yala National Park - Galle: morning safari in Yala. Afternoon drive to Galle.
12. Galle: morning tour of Galle. Afternoon at leisure on Unawatuna beach.
13. Galle - Colombo: transfer to Colombo, afternoon city tour.
14. Colombo - London: morning transfer to the airport. Fly to London Heathrow with Sri Lankan Airlines. Evening arrival.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
** If you see this next to a price, a specific price in your currency has not been provided, this is an estimated-only price based on a currency conversion, the price you pay may be different to that shown
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust