Experience the magic of Mongolia on this economical private tour which includes a 7 day overland journey travelling from Ulaan Baatar to the South Gobi. Highlights include a visit to Ugii Lake, one of the largest and most beautiful in Mongolia, Genghis Khan's ancient city of Karakorum, the Bayanzag Flaming Cliffs where the first dinosaur eggs were discovered and the vast sand dunes of the Gobi Desert. For those looking to travel at a relaxed pace we would recommend extending this tour by a night or two.
1. London Heathrow - Beijing: with Air China.
2. Beijing: overnight stay in an airport hotel.
3. Beijing - Ulaan Baatar: fly to Ulaan Baatar for an overnight stay
4. Ulaan Baatar – Darkhan – Amarbayasglant: Drive to the Amarbayasgalant monastery, you will be staying in Ger camps for the next 8 nights.
5. Amarbayasglant – Uran Togoo: Drive to the extinct volcano of Uran Togoo.
6. Uran Togoo – Ugii Lake: Drive to the spectacular Ugii Lake.
7. Ugii Lake – Tsenkher Jiguur: Drive to Tsenkher Jiguur hotsprings.
8. Tsenkher – Karakorum: Drive to Karakorum.
9. Karakorum - Ongiin Temple: Drive south to Ongiin Temple.
10. Ongiin Temple - Bayanzag: travel south to the Gobi. Evening tour of the Flaming Cliffs.
11. Bayanzag - Hongor Els: drive to the vast dunes of Hongor Els. Afternoon walk through Eagle Valley.
12. Hongor Els – Ulaan Baatar: fly to Ulaan Baatar for an overnight stay.
13. Ulaan Baatar - Beijing: fly to Beijing and overnight in an airport hotel.
14. Beijing - London Heathrow: with Air China.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust