Travel overland from Northern Thailand into Myanmar crossing the border at Tachilek which permits access to the Shan State, one of Myanmar’s finest regions for walking and meeting hill tribes. From the charming Thai city of Chiang Mai you will journey into the Golden Triangle before crossing the border into Myanmar for some gentle trekking and a chance to stay at the stunning Inle Lake, see ancient ruins at Bagan and sample the delights of Mandalay.
1. London to Chiang Mai: via Bangkok with Thai Airways.
2. Chiang Mai: transfer to your hotel for a 2 night stay. Afternoon city tour.
3. Chiang Mai: full day tour to Doi Inathanon National Park.
4. Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai: drive to Chiang Rai with sightseeing en-route.
5. Chiang Rai: visit to Doi Tung Royal Project and hill tribe villages.
6. Chiang Rai - Tachilek - Kengtung: drive to the border at Tachilek and cross into Myanmar. Then drive on to Kengtung.
7. Kengtung: a day’s sightseeing including trekking through minority villages.
8. Kengtung: visit local villages and trek in the Shan Hills.
9. Kengtung - Heho - Kalaw: tour Kengtung, then fly to Heho and drive to Kalaw.
10. Kalaw - Pindaya - Inle Lake: visit the Pindaya Caves then transfer to Inle Lake for 3 nights.
11. Inle Lake: enjoy a guided tour around this scenic lake.
12. Inle Lake: spend a second day exploring the lake and lakeside villages.
13. Inle Lake - Bagan: spend the morning sightseeing then fly on to Bagan for 3 nights.
14. Bagan: a day to explore the famous ruins.
15. Bagan: a second day to explore Bagan and its surrounds.
16. Bagan - Mandalay: fly to Mandalay and take a boat to Mingun. In the afternoon enjoy a city tour ending at Mandalay Hill.
17. Mandalay: a day to explore the region’s ancient capitals.
18. Mandalay - Yangon: fly to Yangon for 1 night and a tour of the city.
19. Fly from Yangon to London: via Bangkok, with Thai Airways.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust