This thrilling three week tour follows the Mekong River all the way from Luang Prabang in Laos to Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh entirely overland, and continues across Lake Tonle Sap to finish at the temples of Angkor. In addition to the main sights of both countries this tour also travels through rural areas which are yet to be discovered by mainstream tourism, providing the opportunity to meet local people going about their daily lives. One of the many highlights of the tour is a Mekong Safari, and overnight stay in a luxury safari tent on a private river island in an area of eastern Cambodia where rare river dolphins are often seen.
1. London - Luang Prabang: via Bangkok with Thai Airways & Bangkok Airways.
2. Luang Prabang: transfer to your hotel for a 3 night stay.
3. Luang Prabang: morning walking tour of the ancient temple district.
4. Luang Prabang: day at leisure to explore at your own pace.
5. Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng: travel by road to Vang Vieng.
6. Vang Vieng - Vientiane: morning tour. In the afternoon drive to Vientiane.
7. Vientiane: half day city tour.
8. Vientiane - Hin Buon: travel by road and boat to Hin Buon.
9. Hin Buon - Thakek: morning tour of Kong Lor Cave. Continue to Thakek.
10. Thakhek: full day trek to the Buddha Cave.
11. Thakhek - Wat Phou: travel to Wat Phou for an overnight stay.
12. Wat Phou - Khone Island: morning tour of Wat Phou. Continue to the 4000 Islands.
13. Khone Island: at leisure to explore the island at your own pace.
14. Khone Island - Kampi: cross into Cambodia for a ’Mekong Safari’.
15. Kampi - Phnom Penh: morning dolphin tour. Drive to Phnom Penh.
16. Phnom Penh: half day city tour including the Royal Palace.
17. Phnom Penh - Battambang: travel by road to Battambang for a 2 night stay at La Villa.
18. Battambang: full day tour of the local area.
19. Battambang - Siem Reap: travel by boat across Lake Tonle Sap to Siem Reap.
20. Siem Reap / Angkor: full day tour of Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom & Ta Prohm.
21. Siem Reap: day at leisure to explore at your own pace.
22. Siem Reap - London Heathrow: via Bangkok with Bangkok Airways & Thai Airways.
This trip has no fixed departures but restrictions may apply - check operator website
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust