Breton crêpes and galettes are legendary for their simple yet splendid flavours and ingredients – here's how to recreate this French staple at home
Asparagus galette 150 g buckwheat galette batter
30 g grated Gruyère
2 tsp lightly salted butter
60 g mangetout
60 g asparagus
1 small slice smoked duck breast
A little chopped parsley
A few grains of fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and trim the asparagus. Snap the mangetout. Blanch the asparagus and peas in salted, boiling water for 1 minute. Drain. Sauté in a dry frying pan (skillet) until tender but still al dente. Drizzle with olive oil.
2. Heat the billig (hot plate), sear the slices of smoked duck and set aside.
3. Pour the batter onto the heated billig. Swirl with a wooden spreader. Cook the galette until golden brown. Sprinkle with the grated Gruyère.
4. Let the cheese melt, then fold the galette and turn over. Spread with butter and transfer to a serving plate.
5. Top the galette with grilled vegetables and duck. Add a few grains of fleur de sel, some freshly ground pepper and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Smoked salmon galette 150 g buckwheat galette batter
2 tsp lightly salted butter
40 g smoked salmon
15 g crème fraîche
A little chopped chive
A little chopped dill + a few sprigs to garnish
A squeeze of fresh lemon
1 tbsp ikura (salmon roe caviar)
1. Pour the batter onto the heated billig, swirl with a spreader, then butter the galette. Cook until golden brown, then transfer to a cutting board.
2. Arrange the smoked salmon on one side of the galette, near the edge.
3. Combine the crème fraîche, chives, dill and lemon juice. Spread the mixture on top of the salmon.
4. Roll the galette tightly, to get out any air pockets.
5. Cut the galette into bite-sized chunks. Arrange on a serving plate, cut-side up. Top each chunk with a little salmon caviar and a sprig of dill
Crêpe parcel with berries 80 g (3 oz/1⁄3 cup) crêpe batter
2 tbsp fromage blanc (smooth curd cheese), slightly sweetened
1 tbsp raspberry jam
2 tbsp whipped cream
1 thin vanilla pod strip
Mixed berries (for 10 crêpes):
10 red currants
2 pistachios, crushed
A few fresh mint leaves, chopped
1. To prepare the berries, wash and drain them. Hull the strawberries (and slice if large), remove the currant stems and pit the cherries. Combine the berries, crushed pistachios and mint. Set aside.
2. Spread the batter onto the heated billig and cook until done. Transfer the crêpe to a plate.
3. Spoon a dollop of fromage blanc into the centre of the crêpe and top with raspberry jam. Add the whipped cream and gather the crêpe into a parcel.
4. Tie the parcel with the vanilla pod strip
5. Accompany the crêpe with the mixed berries.
These recipes were taken from Crepes and Galettes: From the Breizh Cafe, by Bertrand Larcher – out now. All photography by Marie Pierre Morel. Main image: Homemade crepe (Shutterstock)