An enigmatic land of golden pagodas and mist-shrouded jungle, Myanmar was once described by Rudyard Kipling as a place ‘quite unlike any...you know about’. It was into this timeless landscape that a young man by the name of James Howard Williams arrived in 1920, to take up a post with the Bombay Burma Trading Corporation. Over the next 25 years this remarkable individual lived a life straight from the pages of a ‘Boy’s Own’ adventure story, going on to earn himself the moniker of ‘Elephant Bill’ and eventually leading a dramatic exodus of elephants and refugees€ross the Burmese highlands into India.
Following in his adventurous footsteps we journey by river into the jungles of the Upper Chindwin Valley, travelling into some of Myanmar’s most remote landscapes. We’ll take in the cultural highlights of Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan and sail into the very heart of Burma’s ancient teak forests; journeying to the northern reaches of colonial Burma, where J.H. Williams began his remarkable story.
### Highlights: ###
* Follow in the footsteps of ‘Elephant Bill’ with a visit to the old elephant camp at Mawlaik
* Explore the colonial heritage of Yangon and Mandalay
* Gaze€ross the temples and pagodas that litter the famed Plains of Bagan
* 9-day river journey along the Chindwin River
* Explore the remote riverside communities in the wild Upper Chindwin Valley
### Tour Includes: ###
* Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
* 14 breakfasts, 14 lunches, 14 dinners (typically in local restaurants where viable)
* Drinking water throughout
* All transport (minibuses, boats and domestic flights)
* 14 nights’€commodation (5 nights in hotels and 9 nights aboard our privately chartered boat)
* All entrance fees, sightseeing, excursions and€tivities as per the itinerary
* A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
ALL OUR SMALL GROUP TOURS HAVE NO LOCAL PAYMENTS, HIDDEN EXTRAS OR COMPULSORY SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
|Departure Date||Return Date||Availability||Price|
Sign up to our weekly Trip Finder email and get a selection of the best trips to feed your Wanderlust